Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Luckily got a permit for the main fork of the salmon in August and looking to bring my dog. He’s a 2 year old golden, very strong swimmer, and has been down several rivers already. I’ve personally been going down the salmon for 15+ years, I’ve seen and taken dogs down the river with me but it’s been 3 years since the last time I’ve done the main. My biggest concern with bribing him are the rattlesnakes, I’m looking to see if anyone has any advice/recent events to help me with the decision. He has his rattlesnake preventative vaccine but obviously want to do what’s the safest for him so any friendly advice is helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi everyone! Luckily got a permit for the main fork of the salmon in August and looking to bring my dog. He’s a 2 year old golden, very strong swimmer, and has been down several rivers already. I’ve personally been going down the salmon for 15+ years, I’ve seen and taken dogs down the river with me but it’s been 3 years since the last time I’ve done the main. My biggest concern with bribing him are the rattlesnakes, I’m looking to see if anyone has any advice/recent events to help me with the decision. He has his rattlesnake preventative vaccine but obviously want to do what’s the safest for him so any friendly advice is helpful. Thank you!
Not sure where you are located, but one of the bird dog kennel clubs in Boise offers rattlesnake aversion training workshops. They are very effective at conditioning dogs to avoid snakes. They also offer clinics for skunk aversion training too. Might be worth checking your local organizations.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
606 Posts
There is a rattlesnake vaccine available that we have used with three of our dogs and had no bad reactions. We have been lucky enough to not have to test the vacc so cant attest but vets say it will at least help... It does not replace their micro chip or allow for mind control but nothings perfect :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Snakes are tough, good advice above. I would add in watch out for the poison ivy and dogs, maybe that is more Middle Fork but remember that from our dog trips through the main as well. Take Benadryl for any allergy’s or bee/wasp incidents.

My vet is awesome about the backcountry advice, would ask yours for any recommendations as well. Dogs on rivers is good fun and hard to accomplish these days. Clean up and leave no trace as their stewards. 5 dogs on a trip turning the corner may have been a bit much but was still awesome.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
It's a reasonably dog-friendly river. Buddy has taken his boxer; she got scared after falling off the boat in Big Mallard; a retriever would probably love it.
Dog PFD if you don't already have one.

I'd take my Labs, but they're almost 12, and I think a full week would be exhausting to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts