Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just broke my M3 in that wonderful paddling destination of Arizona and I need a new creeker. I really liked the M3 and it helped me step up my game, but they don't make them anymore so Im looking at the burn or anything else that might be similar. I like chines in a creek boat also the m3 boofed well, was fast enough, and was very forgiving. What are the main differences between the burn and the M3 and are there any other boats you might recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
and he lobs one in low and outside

My only experience with the burn was this summer on the Crystal Gorge. My friend dislocated his shoulder and I paddled my Jefe down to the portage then hiked back up and paddled his Burn down the same stretch right afterwards. I can't say that I appreciated much about that boat. I found it uncomfortable, hard to turn, and not enough volume. I was very glad to be back in the Jefe but in general I like my chines on the play boat.

Peter

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've owned both.

To be brief and basic, the burn is an amazing boat with sharp edges. This makes it extremely fast, helps it to hold a line well, and it performs beautifully in pushy whitewater. Boofing is identical between the two boats. The M3 was slightly more forgiving on really shallow creeks because the edges didn't grab as much when grinding over rocks. That said, the Burn does fine on runs like SSV, Bear Creek and other mank fests. The Burn excels on runs with deep pools like the Big South, and big water like Gore and NF Payette. The more water and less rock grinding the better the Burn performs. It accelerates quickly and holds a line well. Much like the M3, you have to pick your line in advance, since once it gets on a line it likes to stick to it, and doesn't want to make drastic changes.

I love the boat. It's a perfect upgrade to the M3.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive owned two M3s, and got the chance to paddle the Burn in Ecuador for a day. I agree with cutch, the Burn kicked ass on runs with water, where your interacting with holes, and not rocks. Its way faster than the M3, and really zoomed through those holes. I had a tendency to over turn it, because when you floor it, the boat really responds, just something to get used too. I was very intrigued, because I liked it, but am a little hesitant to pick one up because it doesnt seem very forgiving on shallow runs, and big drops. I guess it depends on what style of creeking you prefer, Id be stoked to own it if I had a quiver of creek boats, but Im broke, so I aim for a good all around creek boat(M3), you know good on low volume, medium volume, big water, boulder gardens, slidey stuff, bump and grind, etc! I used to own an H3 as well, and felt the M3 was a step up towards steep, shallow creeking. The burn may not be considered a true creeker, but Im sure youd love it on runs like Fish Creek, Gore, etc!

Oh bye the way has anyone tried the new Everest?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a wavesport z and a dagger rmp that would be great for everything you are looking for. I am willing to give them to you for free if you come pick them up. If not I am going to sell them to the highest bidder. My starting price is a thirty rack of pbr.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. The fact that the burn doesn't do well in mank is a concern. I don't really go out seeking rocky runs, but its colorado and it happens more often than I d like.

Paul, Ill get those boats out of your yard soon, patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The burn paddles great in all the sh^t. It's tough to figure out at first, once you do it's awesome. Cutch justs sucks at kayaking.

Gary

·
Registered
950 Posts
My 2 pennies worth.

I think the Burn is awsome and handles lines very well...Yes it did take a couple runs to figure it out but I'm very happy with my burn I bought last year and I'll be buying another in a few weeks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts