Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was a nice article in Kayak Session magazine on the M-wave. Damn, that magazine has nice pictures.

Alex seemed to give pretty good directions on finding the M-wave. That's fine by me. I always thought people are too sensitive about it. It's better to talk openly about how to behave there and protect access than to not say anything and rely on proper word of mouth getting around to the 1000's of people who know about it.

I'm amazed the place was only discovered 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Saw the article, personally believe that 'outing' it will be a bad thing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Didn't see the article, but lets be honest...most people know about it already. It is a touchy issue, and the access is very brittle.....I havent been down there in the last year except a few times, and we were the only ones there (unless alex was in town). I think a lot of peeps just don't enjoy the wave as well, as its a tough wave to surf and can beat you down. But I think that people should know how touchy it is... and how easily it could be completly shut down to us kayakers

Ben Guska

·
Registered
652 Posts
Please explain the touchiness of the M-wave. The edge of it is accessible from a public road, right? Is the problem just not upsetting the land owner? What is he most concerned about? Trash and noise?

·
Registered
989 Posts
The first rule of mwave is that you do not talk about mwave.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
"Outing" the M-wave will forever change kayking for the worst, it is a horrible thing. From now on, no ditch is safe. Soon every ditch in the state will be overrun by bored kayers "going huge"! The new guide book will be Colorado Rivers and Creeks and Ditches. Kayak manufacturers will flock to the new market of "Steep Ditchers", and wavesport will announce it first full on ditch boat in 50 years. Old schoolers will lament the change, but the the young guns running the shit will know that Ditches are where its at. Not to be outdone, Tao Berman, in his latest movie, Ditch 54, will attempt to run the steepest ditch know to man in a straight jacket with a blind fold while getting shot in the face with pellet guns. Its all downhill from here....

·
Registered
416 Posts
As for touchniness.... just be respectful..... some examples, I try to park out of sight.... wave to the farmers if driving by..... drive slow!!! and dont shit in the woods there.... pick up litter.... anything you can think of that would not make you more noticable while there I guess you could say.......

Just commin sense........this wave can be shut down in the blink of an eye.... I also try to educate people you might see there as well... as it is as unique of a playboat feature as some creek runs are.......that have sketch access

Ben Guska

·
Registered
989 Posts
What about handjobs? Do those farmers like handjobs? Cause I give a mean handjob.

·
Registered
567 Posts
M

DSP - that's the funniest thing I've read on the buzz in a long, long time. Thank you!!!!!!!

BSOE - you're out of line soldier - but the guy who has the mud bog for a backyard en route to the wave does enjoy a nice tug now and again...do they have ditches in Iraq? With water? I'm just saying, a few well placed sandbags.....

Jibberfish - 303 4 Life!!!!!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
5 years ago? Maybe this is when you found out about it. :roll: Hate to burst your bubble but people have been surfin down there for over 15 years. They were just better at keepin a secret.

Jib is right it is a touchy issue. Every year it seems to gets worse, once this summer it was like a monkey funckin a football down there. People without the skills tryin to catch the wave gettin worked in the eddie then watchin/yelling the rest of the day from the bridge. Over 6 vehicles parked everywhere with dogs (4) runnin all over that Afgani lookin landscape. One group said they were planning on campin and staying at the wave for 3 days.

I guess my point is - post directions, hell start a contest and bring in that big ass red bull blow up – make sure every kayaker/Colorado tourist knows not only about this spot but also make sure they have has access to easy directions, and make sure there is 6 or more vehicles parked here at all times. Campers, dogs runnin uncontrolled everywhere –

Just my 2 cents - but I would like to keep with the tradition of the M-wave, let someone who knows take you and let you in on the rules that go with the place. Realize that you are not at the golden or confluence play park(s) any more and act like it. Leave the mutt at home. Shit at 7-11. Don’t Camp here. I know this will be a stretch for a lot of boaters but try to respect what is going on, the place, the land, and the locals – if this could happen who knows we may be surfin there for another 10 years but as it is goin now I doubt it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you think that a rancher calling a sheriff is the worst that could happen over there ask the old school paddlers in GJ what happened to all their ditch surfing about 10-15 years ago. All of the best playspots used to be on ditches around GJ and when the ranchers could not keep people out they structurally changed the drops. Added concrete, gates, whatever, I heard all of this from a long time paddler over there so I am not sure what they did exactly but can you imagine how horrible it would be to show up there next spring and have the M Wave be some nasty pour over?

I have said it before...I think the paddling community should be proactive on this issue and look into a conservation easement or something for that area surrounding the wave. I do not know the situation as well as Alex or Hobie but my fear would be that it is only a matter of time before that situation comes to a head and we all lose the coolest spot in the State.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you think that a rancher calling a sheriff is the worst that could happen over there ask the old school paddlers in GJ what happened to all their ditch surfing about 10-15 years ago. All of the best playspots used to be on ditches around GJ and when the ranchers could not keep people out they structurally changed the drops. Added concrete, gates, whatever, I heard all of this from a long time paddler over there so I am not sure what they did exactly but can you imagine how horrible it would be to show up there next spring and have the M Wave be some nasty pour over?

I have said it before...I think the paddling community should be proactive on this issue and look into a conservation easement or something for that area surrounding the wave. I do not know the situation as well as Alex or Hobie but my fear would be that it is only a matter of time before that situation comes to a head and we all lose the coolest spot in the State.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Who would own the easement? Local parks and rec? The county? The owner would undoubtedly have some liabilities. Furthermore, the nearby land owners may not be too excited about an easement that permits paddlers to access the wave, parking, etc. The locals may prefer the current "permission" basis where they can deny permission to any "troublemakers."

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is an easement Mike and I heard of that allows a landowner to "donate" a portion of land as an easement. Since it depreciates their land to some extent they are given a tax credit. Would it work here? I don't know but it might be an option to look into. I will be making some calls to the right people to find out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
On a serious note, figuring out a way to secure access and work with the locals is a good idea. I'd say Colorado Whitewater and American Whitewater would be good places to start. They both have experience in how to preserve access so its a win win for both sides.

As for conservation easements. These are usually done to keep land aside for "environmental conservation" to prevent development of the land, but can allow the owner to keep ownership. Seems a bit far fetched to conserve an irrigation ditch for boaters, and most of the easment stuff is to fend off development. Link below has some info on conservation easements.

http://www.lta.org/conserve/options.htm

·
Registered
211 Posts
An easement can be granted for all kinds of reasons including access. It basically entails a transfer of rights. I would be surprised if a water company would give you an easement to their ditch, but if you could scrounge up enough cash they might be willing to listen. Typically, water rights and delivery systems are not qualified for conservation easements unless they are attached to the land. Chances are the ditch is already an easement on public and private property in the area. So, unless you want to try to negotiate $$$, best bet is to be respectful and keep it cool.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Look at the Access fund for climbers. When there is an epic crag on private land they go out and find a way to secure access. I think we need to form a little committee, heavy on the local flavor over there, and work with AW to start some quiet ground work and figure out who are the players. Then maybe the County government over there or someone in a local land trust would be willing to look at it. The reality is until you do a certain amount of research it is going to be hard to say what may work or may not work. It is worth it...that is for sure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts