Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple weeks after the lower salmon/grande ronde combo, grande ronde came up a bit back to near 600 cfs and hit it with IKs. Lynx IKs as a kayak, gear hauler, SUP, couch and bed:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had this river on my list for a few years now and just cant seem to get there. It looks like a great trip. Perfect for the lynx II.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Was there current most of the way or was there a lot of slack water?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Logistics

Looks like a great trip. Just curious where you put in and take out for the Grand Ronde? What class of whitewater? How many days is the float?

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shap,

I've done the GR at 3500 or so in my gear loaded 14'er, and I guessed the lower limit for that boat/load to be about 2000 (mostly due to the stretch of the Wallowa down from Minam). At what lowest level do you think it would work for a lightly loaded Puma? I'm looking to get out there again, maybe this fall.

thanks for your response,

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've only run the Grande Ronde once...4 days at 18000 CFS. There were no rapids, just 7-8 mph currents and 6-10 inch tall eddy walls. I got my lip split be dipping an oar in an eddy and having it grab tight and pop me in the face. Good times.

It is a beautiful river though, and the campsites are some of the best I have ever seen. A couple of the sites we stayed at had 80% shade, flat ground for 20+ tents and ground that will hold a stake.

We saw enormous herds of elk, a lone blackbear, and many bighorn sheep.

It is definitely on our radar for a return trip though, it may be our first "big" trip of the spring.

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shap,

I've done the GR at 3500 or so in my gear loaded 14'er, and I guessed the lower limit for that boat/load to be about 2000 (mostly due to the stretch of the Wallowa down from Minam). At what lowest level do you think it would work for a lightly loaded Puma? I'm looking to get out there again, maybe this fall.

thanks for your response,
Floated it just over 600 cfs this year with Aire SDP light to medium load, no cooler, no passenger, other than dog, not too bad, got hung up a few times for brief period on shallow gravel bars. I would do it again at this flow with lightly loaded raft, but not a whole lot lower.
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/super-duper-puma-multi-day-49644.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts