Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was my birthday. Got out for a few hours of paddling to highight the day. The whole time something just felt wierd. I couldn't figure it out. I kept poping hand rolls and trying to figure out what was wrong. Got back to the car and their in my seat was my vest.

Hold crap, I need to kick myself in the head!! Sleep deprevation of our new daughter has kicked in alot worse than I realized!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not a drug guy. Pure sleep deprevation. I only put it up here beacause you all would of torn me apart as a complete idiot if something had gone wrong. I can't fathom how I did it, but I did.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Very lucky, indeed! If I don't get a solid 8 hrs of sleep, I do silly stuff as well. Strangely, my wife functions just fine with 6 hrs.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,257 Posts
Did you slam your bootie beer yet !?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done it on Lower Gore Creek. I was with four other boaters who were extremely experienced! NOne of us noticed (I know I need to be reponsible for myself, but it is just surprising that NONE of us noticed) Thank god, we pulled out about 200 yds down stream at a friends house for a beer before we headed on to the Chute...I took it as a sign that I was suppose to drink beer that afternoon instead of paddling. They continued through the Chute and I continued drinking beer at the friends house.

Training as a Guide in WVa, we came across a paddler at Double Z without one...My trainer had a field day with that one since it was one of his long time buddies!

·
Registered
194 Posts
New kid will do that to you. One very scary near death experience taught me to skip paddling when I feel tired and spacy. Short version, I tucked my grab loop into my skirt and swam and couldn't get out of my boat and was a CH away from the end.

Long Version: Two years ago after my son was born I went to do an after work run on lower clear creek at 750cfs. 9 years of boating and I never once tucked my pull loop into my skirt, but on this occasion, I have no idea why or how I didn't notice, but I did the unthinkable. I had done that run 10 times and never swam, even as a newbie. On this occasion, with my spray skirt loop tucked inside I decided to try the hero line at elbow, to catch the river left eddy that is immediately above the hole, which I caught and when I tried to ferry across to the right line against the wall, (this ferry line is about 5 feet upstream from the hole) I got rolled and floated upside down and sideways into the hole. I knew at this level I woudl flush but I was already completely winded and had zero breath. I let go of my paddle to pull my skirt only to find myself clutching at nothing. I was wearing gloves and could not peel my skirt off. I was already in the calm pool below. I felt all over for my paddle, it was gone. I tried hand rolling to no avail, (you try hand rolling a LL Huck) I tried kicking my way out, no luck there. I knew my buddy was right there, so I tried to slap the bottom of my boat waiting on tee rescue, no luck there. I then Tried the skirt again, nothing. Tried to kick out again, nothing. Tried to signal the tee rescue once more. By now, I was so far past the point of no breath that my lungs began to convulse, trying to suck in air, so much so I was having to force my mouth shut. They convulsed a second time, and this time my mouth couldn't stay shut and let in a little water. At that point I honestly felt so stupid that I was about to die in a calm pool of water that I became angry, very angry, like chew your arm off angry and so I started to flail all of my limbs and finally my skirt popped. Holy shit I'l never do that again. That was the only time I decided walked Screamin 1/4 mile,wihch was the only good decision I made that day.. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scary

I can't claim to have done alot right when it comes to boating, but the one skill I learned early that has helped me on many a situation when things went bad was a hand role. Even when it isn't successful, it at least gets me another gulp of air.

Good teaching story. Glad it ended alright.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Been said before, but a couple of thoughts on getting your skirt off without the grab loop.

1) pull the skirt off at the side of the cockpit just to the side of your hips. Dig under with your fingers and pull. It pops off pretty easy as there is much less tension here than at the top of the cockpit. Should be able to do this with gloves.

2) Lean on your back deck, like you are basically standing up in your boat and twist aggressively to the side while lifting one side of your hip up as you completely rotate your torso. This twisting motion can pop the skirt off at the side as well. Gotten out of my boat in a pin this way. It works quickly.

Probably a good idea to try a few of these types of things as it might save you one day.

·
Registered
844 Posts
A few years ago I was Kayaking Numbers with a few friends. One guys wife came to the endo rock on 4 and was watching us when we got there. After a while she is like, 'Hey Tom! Where the fk is your pfd!?' He had neglected to put it on and nobody else noticed. We always are so into our own checklists and thoughts that we rarely see what others in our own group are wearing.

Were you just at a playpark Canda, or running a river?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts