Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my local runs has a 200m decent into a canyon that the raft needs to be lowered into to touch the river. Its commercially guided any they use a pulley system to lower their rafts down. They dont allow for public use of this pulley raft contraption.

Im looking for ideas besides carrying the 16ft heavy ass raft down. Someone once mentioned a carpet trick? what is this?

Any ideas on how i could get the raft down?
Ive kayaked this river numerous times its gonna be a sweet raft run. :roll:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've used pack animals to get rafts into some pretty remote locations, but obviously it requires access to pack animals. Maybe check with a horse outfitter or a local horse packing club.

200 meters is a lot of rope to handle.

One of my local runs has a 200m decent into a canyon that the raft needs to be lowered into to touch the river. Its commercially guided any they use a pulley system to lower their rafts down. They dont allow for public use of this pulley raft contraption.

Im looking for ideas besides carrying the 16ft heavy ass raft down. Someone once mentioned a carpet trick? what is this?

Any ideas on how i could get the raft down?
Ive kayaked this river numerous times its gonna be a sweet raft run. :roll:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is this put in?
Its the Elk river in BC, Raft Run, Lower section in Elko, BC.
I have all the climbing hardware and rope. I just need to figure out how to lower it down without beating up my raft.

I might just ask the raft guides really nicely and offer them some beer or scotch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar scenario. The put in is about a 50 percent grade and its 1,500 feet long. I just had one person on each end with a rope attached to the raft and lowered it that way. This was also 1,500 feet of rocks and dirt.. Just make sure it's fully inflated you slide it down.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...35927D41767CAAC7DCBA35927D41767C&&FORM=VRDGAR

That video is super helpful in allowing me to visualize that it can be done...
but the Damage.. Wouldn't dragging the boat put a hole or tear up the raft? my RMR is only in its second season..hmmm, maybe that's where a carpet comes in

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dragged my Sotar down it on it's second season.. These boats are a lot stronger then you would imagine. This is the actual put in that I did. I talked to one of the local outfitters because I was concerned. He told me to pump it up to the max PSI and guide it down with a rope. I thought of a carpet or a thick canvas, but in the end I figured it would be a lot more of a hassle since a carpet would cause a lot of friction.

He said they have done hundreds of these put ins and haven't had a problem. There always a risk..

https://vimeo.com/220748582

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had a similar scenario. The put in is about a 50 percent grade and its 1,500 feet long. I just had one person on each end with a rope attached to the raft and lowered it that way. This was also 1,500 feet of rocks and dirt.. Just make sure it's fully inflated you slide it down.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...35927D41767CAAC7DCBA35927D41767C&&FORM=VRDGAR
I appreciate your determination to get your boat to such an inaccessible place, but there's absolutely no way I'd put my boat through that even if it probably can handle it!

Imaging how much of a horror show it would be to pull it back up the hill if you popped it at the bottom. I know the put in you're talking about and it would absolutely suck dragging 170 pounds of limp rubber back up it.

If the commercial outfits won't let you use their system, I'd rather make something myself... Maybe 4 huge caster wheels on a platform or something?

When I paid for a day trip on the elk, they had us the passengers carry the boats down, if memory serves. Maybe you just need to make sure you've got a good crew of people to help you get it down.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where there is a will there is a way..
Its such a pretty stretch of H20
I think my best bet might be to convince a raft guide to let me use their pulley system...

You carried a raft down to the elk..wow...I get tired carrying my kayak to that put in. If you trip you are going for a long ride!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way..
Its such a pretty stretch of H20
I think my best bet might be to convince a raft guide to let me use their pulley system...

You carried a raft down to the elk..wow...I get tired carrying my kayak to that put in. If you trip you are going for a long ride!!
Now I'm wondering if my memory on that is correct.

I'm pretty sure they did have us at least lower them down the last ramp to the river.

I drink... So I don't know what I remember now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My advice is to convince a friend with a raft to do it with you and use their raft :p

I have seen a cool system made out of rolled roofing material. Grommets were added and cam straps were used to attach it to the bottom of the raft. Worked great.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That video is super helpful in allowing me to visualize that it can be done...
but the Damage.. Wouldn't dragging the boat put a hole or tear up the raft? my RMR is only in its second season..hmmm, maybe that's where a carpet comes in

This is why they use an Aire with a “10 year Drag is down the side of a mountain warranty “

1 - 19 of 19 Posts