Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am headed over to kayak the Lower Taylor with a couple of folks but we are having trouble finding a legitimate put-in and takeout for this run. Any information would be much appreciated and thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put-in is at the highway bridge above harmel's resort and the takeout is in Almont (right below the confluence of the East river).

·
Registered
314 Posts
No that is wrong, the put-in is at 5 mile bridge which is below Harmels. Just drive up from Almont about 5 miles to the first bridge you come to, that is the put-in for the lower Taylor. The bridge above Harmel's is known as Southbank and is take-out for the upper Taylor or the put-in for the middle Taylor. There are actually 4 different runs on the Taylor below the resevoir. Give me a jingle at 970-497-6512 and we'll chat, when are you going, might join or help with shuttle. Still my favorite river on this side of the divide. You do not want to run the middle Taylor without guidance many issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
>>There are actually 4 different runs on the Taylor below the resevoir.

What is the section called that starts at new generation put in?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The new generation put-in simply adds on about 2 miles to the "upper Taylor proper run", but is only used by some kayakers. All commercials and most kayakers put on at the new upper put-in right below Tod's slot. That put-in does give you 2 more nice class III rapids before Tod's slot and almost 7 miles of incredible whitewater surrounded by stunning scenery, so why not!!! The upper-upper Taylor starts below Lottis Creek campground and take-out is at Lodge Pole Campground with 2 intense class IV's at normal flows (around 600 out of dam).

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Although most guidebooks only say between 2 and 3 runs on the Taylor, theres actually seven runs on it from the headwaters to the Gunny.

1. Headwaters Run- from above Dorchester CG to Rocky Brook Rd, class I and II, maybe 5 or 6 mi, almost all meanders. Very rarely run.

2. Park Run- Rocky Brook Rd to 1/2 mi above Taylor Res, class II with some II+/III-. Almost 10 miles, very fun.

3. Gold Medal Run- From the first to the second bridges below the dam. Class II and III, some hazards, requires a stealth takeout.

4. Upper Upper Taylor- gunnar described it well, Lottis to Lodgepole.

5. Upper Taylor, or "Commercial Upper" or "Taylor Canyon". New Gen or Tods Slot to South Bank.

6. Middle Taylor, South Bank to Five Mile.

7. Lower Taylor, Five Mile to Almont.

Lower is fun and relaxing but watch out for the stretch from the open stretch to the Almont post office, it can be extremely shallow and manky. First two miles is the most fun.

·
Registered
93 Posts
thanks for the description. i've only paddled the new generation section but it was really great. maybe next season will explore more.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Putting a good group together for this weekend, maybe Sat. and Sun. Flows are still very good with 400 out of dam, might actually do upper, upper section along with regular upper and middle runs. Weather is gonna be great, will update as we solidfy plans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,
Looking for some advice. I am intermediate rafter wanting to run the Taylor on Thursday. I have a 16' Avon bucket boat with 9 people(youngest being 11) Just ran Pumphouse to Rancho del Rio without any problems with this crew, so I am looking for something similar in difficulty. Thinking "Park run" or the "commercial upper"? How are these runs at this time?
thanks
John

·
Registered
244 Posts
The Taylor has about 400 cfs coming from the reservoir... still fun, but starting to get bony. You wouldn't want to take a 16' boat with 9 people down at this low of flow, if ever on those sections.

You could float the Gunny from Garlic Mikes and down through the WW park. It's not hard, but neither is Puphouse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
16 ft rafts are pretty rare on the Taylor but it can be done on the lower five miles. If most of your crew are adults, nine will be a heavy load at these flows.

·
Registered
314 Posts
John, got your private message and called that # several times, wrong #, call me at 970-497-6512 and we'll chat. No, no on the upper Taylor with current flows and a 16' boat with 9 people. Gunnison outside Gunnison, like Duckins suggested yes.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
You could run a 16' paddle boat on the Upper right now, but be aware you need a CRACK team that is ready for pinpoint manuevers and responds crisply and immediate to strong and precise commands. Extremely technical. It's not an "all forward" flush like Shoshone.....

Park Run is long since done for the year....Never heard of rafts on that run (yet) but would have to imagine need 600ish or more to make that work. My personal cutoff is 350 (and thats for my IK). 110 is trout time.

Putting in at South Bank adds the Middle Taylor, and 2.5 more miles than the Lower, but be aware there are a good amount of check-dams and junk piles, all with extremely vigilant and unfriendly private property on either side. 16' might be getting to the end of what'll fit.

The Gunny has four sections, Almont -> North Bridge/Garlic Mike's, G Mikes -> WW Park, WW Park -> McCabe's, and McCabe's -> Blue Mesa. Sometimes it's fun to do Lower Taylor + Upper Gunny, so floating Five Mile to North Bridge, although 13 miles of braided gravel class II gets a little old after a while. G Mike's to McCabe's is a lot of fun and more activity for people but it can be brutally busy this time of year.

Be aware with 9 people on one 16' raft, wherever you go you are going to be HEAVY and might have to do some pushing/pulling. There is one section just above the Almost Post Office about 200 yards long that is extremely manky and wide, with 9 pax on a 16'r almost assuredly going to have to push a bit here.

Good luck, hope you have a fun trip, Gunnar is a good guy to talk to for trips in the area!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Gunner. The Arkansas trip was perfect. Went from Big Bend to Rincon. Even stopped at the Boat House for a bite and a few drinks while the kids played in the wave.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good deal John, that stretch was probably the best for your group situation. That's one of the great things about meeting good people on this forum, getting good options and info on river runs, so we can make good decisions. Logan Meyers and Kit Davidson (yetigonecrazy) have helped me immensely thru the years and I have a good list of contacts and paddlers, all from this wonderful community. Keep my contact # handy, maybe I'll guide you down the technical Taylor next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yak Upper Taylor 1 day 8/20-8/22

low, but still trying to go

anyone wanna kayak the upper T? class iv boater thats ran a small portion of it before, so i don't know all of the lines. let me know, nothing going on till Monday.
txt: 4one9-656-zero44four

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
If you're a class IV boater than you should be able to cruise down and boat scout everything. Almost all the lines are clearly visible.

The Taylor is a popular local gem, just hang out at South Bank or The Slot and sooner or later you should find a crew to tag along with :)

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
low, but still trying to go

anyone wanna kayak the upper T? class iv boater thats ran a small portion of it before, so i don't know all of the lines. let me know, nothing going on till Monday.
txt: 4one9-656-zero44four
Planning for Numbers on the Ark tomorrow afternoon if your interested. Probably won't go back to the Taylor again this season, although the flow is still holding pretty strong...

Logan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts