Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

A couple of us from Colorado Springs are going to go down and run the Lower Taos Box -- Get there Sunday, May 8, and camp, and then paddle it on Monday.
We'd love a little company - especially anybody that knows the run well. We're class 4 boaters, but have never run the Box.

Interested?

-Mike G.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd be very interested in running it with you. I did run it a couple times a few years back at 1500cfs and 750 cfs, but I won't recall enough to know the lines that will be different at these higher levels anyway. I'll be able to point out a few rapids, my old lines and that's about it. We only got out and scouted powerline rapid, the rest was read-n-run.

BTW, I am a class IV / V- boater these days and will be running a Embudo creekboat, (only boat right now).

I get off work Sunday at 4:00pm, so I'll drive down after work, camp, and have monday-tuesday off. Perfect.

719-661-4377 give me a call as time gets closer.

Ed Hansen

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
i don't kow if you all (whut's a yall??) are aware of the strainer at dead car rapid- it was barely underwater at 1800, and because of the cold the level was @ 1200 today, it may be ugly, but it shouldn't be too hard to get around. it's a 3' dia. tree (read the post from a week ago)- you would want to scout the third major drop, @ 9 miles down.
have fun!
....and check out sleeping beauty, and karmic wave on the race course for some great park n' play..... both awesome waves... :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, Ed!

We'll call you later in the week and see you in Taos - hopefully we'll share a campsite and a beer or six.

-Mike G.

P.S. -- thanks for the beta, abron. We'll be heads-up.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Hi Abron,

Thanks for the warning about the strainer. For your edification:

Y'all, n. - contraction for "you all," generally used by those of American Southeastern origins or those wishing they were. Contrary to common depiction by clueless Hollywood-types, "y'all" is a plural reference to the addressed's familial or social group; e.g., "How y'all doing down in Thomasville?" For the subject it is an invitation to discuss the latest happenings and welfare of close ones and for the speaker it rolls off the tongue in a much more genteel fashion than "youse guys."

SYOTR, :D

--Andy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Come down the 7th

The Rio Grande Riverfest is the 7th. Come to the Rodeo... it will be at one of the good Pilar waves at noon on Saturday. Details at http://www.adobeww.org/

I just did the box Saturday. The log in question is no longer in Dead Car. It has moved about 1/2 mile or so below that rapid. Saturday it was on River right but it isn't stable so look for it to show up somewhere else when the water comes back up. I am concerned that it might show up in Powerline or the Boulder Garden so it's best to scout until we see where the damed thing shows up.

I have been in the box twice this year once at 2000 and once at 1300 and both levels were fun. Save some energy because all the fun is in the last part.

-Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm heading down to NM on Thursday thru Tuesday to paddle the Box and race the Mother's Day Pilar Race. I have room for two passengers (dogs welcome) and several boats.
Kim

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kim.

We're planning on putting on between 8 and 9 a.m. Monday at Dunn Bridge to run the Lower Box.
There are four of us so far - maybe we'll see you there.

-Mike G.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if the stainer/log/hazard is still in there? I'm headed down there this weekend and was hoping someone would have some info. I understand it has moved down towards Powerline but is it stuck again?

Thanks,
twolabs

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lower Box, etc - Tues, Wed??

I'd like to run the lower box next Tuesday (May 10) - is anyone interested? I've done the run several times, long ago, always at high water (> 2,000). Wednesday's also good for me - another run on the Box (lower or upper), Pilar, Grape Creek, or ??

If anyone's interested ring me at 970 224-4549. I'll be there, rain or shine, and will probably camp on the hill above the lower box take.

Ed - I'll call you at the number you posted and see if we can work something out.

johng

·
Registered
580 Posts
This weekend the log was about 1/2 mile downstream of Dead Car. Easy passage on the left, no worries. Do keep an eye out for changes, it will be ugly if it makes it to Powerline, 1/4 mile downstream. I have a feeling it could pin on the entrance rocks. Get one of those rubber busses to go down with a chainsaw and cut it up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
rchristianson said:
This weekend the log was about 1/2 mile downstream of Dead Car. Easy passage on the left, no worries. Do keep an eye out for changes, it will be ugly if it makes it to Powerline, 1/4 mile downstream. I have a feeling it could pin on the entrance rocks. Get one of those rubber busses to go down with a chainsaw and cut it up.
Thanks for the info on the log.... We'll keep our eyes peeled for sure and report back on were we see it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Strainer in the box

It's still there. It is a little bit above Powerline. Just as you start around the corner above Powerline (right hand bend) there are what appeat to be two large pourovers that you can easily glide over. Don't be fooled, the upper is the strainer in question. We had one raft in our group go straight over the center of it thinking it was a rock. It isn't until you get below it that you see what a big log it really is. The river was on its way up so be careful.

twolabs

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As of Monday afternoon, the log is still in the same place just above Powerline on river left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts