Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have I smoked too much weed if I think I can paddle the last 40 miles until Clay Hills in a long boat at 871cfs IN ONE DAY??

·
Registered
76 Posts
You got it!

I believe in you. No idea if mere mortals can attain such legendary status with virtually no moving water, but I'd like to hear how it turns out! Long boats foreva!

·
Registered
517 Posts
saw 2 dudes in old wildwater boats while at Cave Draw on the Bruneau years back. Saw them about 2pm, they'd launched at Murphys, portaged Jarbidge falls (this was pre-barker falls) and were well on pace to complete the 70 mile day to takeout by dark.

500 cfs, no sandbars though.

Bet the portage was a nice break from the boats!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I would say no this time of year unless you are planning to paddle in the dark. You're going to have to be on the water by shortly after 7am and cover 5 miles an hour all day long. You might be able to do it if you don't ever stop to use the bathroom or eat, and don't have any issues at Government Rapid.

·
Super Moderator
4,026 Posts
Maybe I missed something but my first question is, what kind of boat are you taking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have I smoked too much weed if I think I can paddle the last 40 miles until Clay Hills in a long boat at 871cfs IN ONE DAY??
On the second morning of a 5-day Mexican Hat - Clay Hills trip late-July of this year, camped at the foot of the Honaker Trail, I went for a hike up the Honaker while the teenagers slept in, stumbled on the way back down, and broke my left ring finger. After cutting my ring off, we decided the best course of action to get my hand to a surgeon ASAP while not ruining the whole trip for everyone was to lash my kayak on our 14' raft and for my son and I (me using only my thumb and first finger on my left hand) to row the remaining 40'ish miles to Clay Hills. We stayed on the oars (either one or the other of us, or one on each oar) the entire time. Left Honaker at 11:00am, got to Clay Hills at 7:30 pm (and to the Blanding ER at 11:30 pm).

This was at a bit over 2000 cfs, though.

-Keith

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
893ish cfs. Was making 6mph pretty easily in the trusty Wavehopper while smokin hella kush. Would do again. Lower San Juan is tits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts