Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The lower Salmon River and Snake River is open for rafting as of this morning. The road to Heller Bar is open. Here is the link for the latest Cougar Fire information.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4052/

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
See you Saturday morning Bruce! :) We'll have a white 14' Maravia Raft, purple Cat, and a white/red IK, launching Saturday morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, I pulled out of Heller Bar on the 8th, right as the fire was moving up the opposite side of the river. It was cool! We camped right by the fire line on the southern end, along the Salmon. Other than the smoke, which came and went, it didn't seem like much to worry about. Choose a camp on the opposite side of the river and enjoy the show, or camp on the fire side and cook your hot dogs on a smoldering stump!

·
574 Posts
we've cancelled our trip, BLM says you'll be camping directly across from the fire two nights and that rain has muddied up the water, there are also carcasses of deer and elk floating in the river. - was enough to turn off the women and children on our trip. :-(

·
Registered
308 Posts
we've cancelled our trip, BLM says you'll be camping directly across from the fire two nights and that rain has muddied up the water, there are also carcasses of deer and elk floating in the river. - was enough to turn off the women and children on our trip. :-(
Why not float from Vinegar Creek to Hammer Creek? Some great rapids in that run. Trash cans at the parks too. Ice cream in Riggins Very little river traffic! You will have to camp across from I 95 though. We ran from Vinegar to Hellar Bar just before the fire started, great trip!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Damn the torpedos we are going to the lower salmon. Will report back with pictures from Dante's Inferno.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
574 Posts
can't wait to hear how it worked out for you. I'm bummed I missed out on it, but ended up playing on the Sunbeam and Piece 'o Cake stretches up by Stanley (was nice and relaxing, lots of fun. and the weather was great, curious if the rain helped the fires on the lower Salmon)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Switch and Swap

We had a Lower Salmon trip planned for the 14th-19th but the fire was making us nervous. I saw a cancelation on the Main Salmon for the same launch date. It was a shorter drive for us and we decided to do it. 15 of us total and it was a good thing because as we were driving to corn creek we had to move 5 or 6 ponderosas and then re build about 30ft of road as they reported 0.7inch of rain in 30min and one of the canyons about 10 miles from the ramp blew out and took the road with it. 2 hours of rock stacking and road planing later we were headed to the boat ramp. Heavy rains and creeks blowing out as well as the rain fire made for a interesting 5days on the Main. I guess that is why it is called WILD and scenic. All in all another amazing Salmon trip!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
All good on the Lower Salmon. Put on at 6900 cfs on the 16th. Levels dropped a bit each day but flows were good. No issues with the fires but some interesting burnt scenery on the last 2 days. A few properties on the Snake were lost to the fires. Yellowjackets were mildly pesky at Hammer Creek and our first camp (lone pine?) but not much of an issue after that.

Fishing was a non-starter because of the mudslide sediment coming from upstream. The only clear water was at the confluence with the Snake.

A great trip and the kids loved it.

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts