Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am planning to do a Lower Salmon trip the first week in October and am wondering if it ever gets too low to run. It is currently 3,100 cfs at Hammer and I read that it is runable down to 2,500 cfs.

Since I have a month before the trip and it keeps dropping I was wondering if there were major problems if it below 2,500 cfs. I don't mind dodging rocks but portaging rapids or long stretches does not sound fun.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've done it down to 1500 cfs. No prob. Watch out for the cast and blast folks or join them. Rice Creek area will be the worst with tight channels thru bedrock. Stay left in middle thru the lower part of it. Good Luck.

·
Shapp
1,853 Posts
I've done it down to 1500 cfs. No prob. Watch out for the cast and blast folks or join them. Rice Creek area will be the worst with tight channels thru bedrock. Stay left in middle thru the lower part of it. Good Luck.

When did you do it down to 1500 cfs?, the river has only been below 2000 cfs a hand full of days in the last 100 years on the whitebird gage.

The answer to the question is, no it doesn't get too low to take any oar boat down of any size.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are correct. It was at 2000 cfs. Had to look at some notes. It was a while ago, 94' or 95' if I had to guess. Had a fellow guide that liked to log the highest and lowest possible runs thru the Lower and elsewhere. Thanks to him I've seen the Lower between 2,000 and 81,000 cfs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts