Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
All good advice except for placing/building traps. As rafters we are but tourist in their river world and we do live by the leave no trace mantra so live and let live... ...for all living creatures. Our actions is what attracts them and they shouldn't have to die because of us.
Nice thoughts but we are the cause that they get over populated in popular river camps and at feature attractions. The same problem occurs with ants, mice, rattlesnakes etc. Traps are simply correcting our mistakes. While it would be nice to correct our mistakes and not feed the wildlife in the first place, that ain't likely to happen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ah well, maybe this will help salve the sting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/what-if-all-the-wasps-disappeared/p085ltfr?playlist=sustainable-thinking
We've had bee hives for a number of years and found the most success in practicing 'Bee Behavior'; Remove the food temptation (though bees are generally not attracted to Sunday evening dinners in the backyard with grandkids), avoid bright clothing, move slowly when in close proximity to the hives, and NEVER swat-blow-shake when the guard bees come to check you out - it's always amazing how they know where your head is. Staying patiently calm will usually result in their deciding you're not a threat, and somehow they let everyone else know you're okay...and off they go.
Happy rafting to all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, 12k-13k and dropping is my cutoff for little kids on that trip. Who knows though, pretty shitty snow year for the Salmon basin and it could down by then. I have never had an issue with wasps on that trip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yellowjacjets and hornets kill my honey bees every year. Iam a beekeeper lol. They suck and are ruthless. They kill all the guards and most of the nurses. They enslave the rest cause they eat larvea so they wanna keep queen just barley laying. It's ugly!! Here's a tip that will either keep them away or kill everyone within a half mile. Take can of tuna or chunk chicken and stash it open down wind or as far away from camp as you can. Obviously retrieve it before you go. If you want to murder them (i do) put the tick medicine for dogs(squirt on dogs neck hair)-frontline on the tuna. Farm store has cheap version. They eat it and take it home and they all die. I've literally seen a few hundred thousand yellowjackets decimate a yard of 20 honey bee hives!!! Nother tip- they do not live in colonies. They all go to die except queen in late summer/fall- hence the kamikaze yellowjackets in fall. They bury the queen in a tunnel in the ground with food. She eats her way out and is flying in early spring ready to start laying. So...in early spring kill any one that you see ! it's a queen and that's one less nest you'll have at home. . In spring they fly like their drunk all dumb and slow. I clap them and rejoice! Fuc$ yellowjackets lol! Yes iam a bored human!

·
Registered
605 Posts
jet boats are worse than yellowjackets! once it is illegal to fish the salmon run they disappear usu after 07/15

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Reactions: GeoRon
21 - 29 of 29 Posts