Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have successfully biked shuttled lots of rivers this year. Looking ahead to 2021 - we are planning an Owyhee trip, Rome to Birch Creek. The usual shuttle route is 60 miles. Google maps shows some bike route less than 40 miles.

Anybody driven (or biked) the back roads from Birch Creek to Rome? How sandy are they? How rocky? Thanks!

·
Shapp
1,849 Posts
You will find ample amount of gravel, loam, clay and rocks, Not to mention a significant climb up out of the canyon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sure, I've been out on the north rim roads a little bit. I don't know that I'd want to leave my car at Birch for 3 or 5 nights all alone. Odds are that you will be good. The road are hard gravel and muddy after rain. Its big gravel everywhere. not sand on the rim. The 60 mile road out is good flat gravel once you get out of the canyon. I would think that someone would pick a solo biker up on the main road and you wouldn't have to bike the distance? You wont see anyone for days on the back roads if your planing on biking the distance, why not bike the main road out of the canyon and cut down the miles. Although there will be more hills, all those roads will go for a mtn bike for sure. Rain could muddy things up. Are you thinking of dropping gear off at Rome in the early hours, driving to birch, biking back to Rome in a day? Day light (only 12 hours a day) and wind might be your biggest enemies on this one. Avoid snow storms, bring a mapped route, water, and a gps unit on the bike back and you will be good. Hell, you might even have your team meet you at camp one on the river saving time and bike miles???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My kids and I bike shuttled the Rogue twice this summer. The climb to Bear Camp is more than twice as high as the climb out of the Owyhee.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All good input so far, my two cents worth is: I have driven many of the roads by Jordan Crater, Lambert, and so forth. Yes indeed, a Big uphill (gravel, not paved like Br. Camp) You end up at the old bridge a couple miles downstream of Rome put-in. Mostly, roads are plenty good enough for a decent Mt bike but lots of loose gravel and depend on how much rain, could be quagmire mud in spots. Yes it is much shorter than going all the way out to 95 and thru JValley. Only reason we did not take it more in a car was it is washboard, slow, and more muddy...sounds perfect for a bike adventure. Allow plenty of time. I would not want to be caught out there on a cold, dark night miles from anywhere. If you can get a hold of a BLM ranger, Vale District, they know the backcountry well and may have suggestions up to date.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I once drove a route from Rome, through Danner, out to Birch Creek. Not sure I would do it again? There were a couple closed grates I had to go through, not sure if I was on private property? Found myself just following a blue line on the GPS. The road was all gravel, mud, and what looked like old lava flow. It was slow going and I would probably just drive the main road again. Like everyone else has stated it is a big climb out on all gravel with a couple stream crossings. If it has been raining they sure do feel a bit more like a small river while driving a truck through. I would prepare for an all gravel, Bear Camp climb, through the middle of nowhere. Sounds like it might be best as a 2 day ride? Interested to hear if you do it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts