Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, below Applewood Bridge, just west or milemarker 19 on HWY 36 is some barbed wire running across the river. At this level, around 150 cfs, it did not look duckable in a kayak but it was a little hard to tell since I was looking down from the road. There are a few shore eddies just above the wire. Portage river left even though it looks really brushy. The right has more barbwire to climb over. At higher levels my guess is it would be partly submerged and hard to see. Also the shore eddies may get washed out.

There may be more wire above/below this, but the river goes away from the road so I couldn't tell. Hopefully, nobody will get caught in it since alot of beginners go down this - not to mention the tubers...

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is also a power line (or phone line?) that has fallen into the river just upstream of the play park. easily avoidable, but know that it's there.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I called Xcel on the downed line Wednesday. They had to call me to find out where it was within the park today. Ended up just being a cable line, but it has been taken care of.

Laurie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lower NSV

Ran Apple Valley Bridge to Black Bear last night (5/23) at about 380 cfs

The barb wire has washed out to river Right, no longer any issue.
Bunch of trees/Logs have moved around since the water came up, but
the run was pretty clear, even for a beginner boater as of last night. Would expect a lot of this wood to keep moving around, so keep your eyes open.

Great easy run at this level, playpark is pretty well buried & washed out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts