Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Would this still be a good run for a beginner that just learned the roll and is still hit/miss in faster moving water???

Just curious as I have never run it before. I do have experience in class 3 and am not afraid to swim but don't want to die lol.

Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Poudre is Cold! even down low so factor that in. Loaded question but if you have a stronger boating partner or more who are comfortable in helping you in a swim then go 4 it. At 4' + things can happen quickly and go from a short swim to a LONG swim.

Bottom line.... whats your crew like.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Lower Mish isn't very steep, but at 4' has a few large holes that require sufficient boat control to avoid. I would say it's definitely class III, but if you're not used to larger water class III it may feel more difficult. I like the advice of jumping on Filter Plant on your way up and if it feels really easy, then drive up to Lower Mish. It's a short section so won't take long. Bridges is a more fun class III section, but the bridge pilings make it a more hazardous run.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hi all,

Would this still be a good run for a beginner that just learned the roll and is still hit/miss in faster moving water???

Just curious as I have never run it before. I do have experience in class 3 and am not afraid to swim but don't want to die lol.

Thanks
Steven
You won't die. You'll just loose your gear if you swim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys,

i was referring to the Mishiwaka Inn to Poudre Park (Lower Mishiwaka) run. it will be a Colorado Whitewater led cruise so hopefully our group will have the #'s to retrieve any gear that goes floating down river if we swim. i have all the dry gear so water temp is no issue.

also, will be out practicing at golden whitewater park tonight at 600+ cfs, how would that compare to the lower mish???

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would agree to run filter a few times. 4 feet, the moves are class III but the consequences may be higher. It has the potential to tarnish your love affair with floating down a river in a plastic tub. Golden playpark is class II. Filter will give you a taste of larger waves without the holes that will beat you down if you hit them.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would say that it would depend on the person. Some people swim and think nothing of it, others have quit the sport over a bad day on the river.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well now that you have all done your best to scare the bejesus out of me, i am still gonna give it a shot. the river may win the battle this weekend but i will win the war in the long run. what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

btw, changing the run is not an option as it is being led by a CW guide...so i will trust that we get through it :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have fun and don't forget to put your name on your gear. Also, float bags. Also also, beer at the takeout for the people who fish your stuff out of the river.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
well now that you have all done your best to scare the bejesus out of me, i am still gonna give it a shot. the river may win the battle this weekend but i will win the war in the long run. what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

btw, changing the run is not an option as it is being led by a CW guide...so i will trust that we get through it :)

I admire your bravery but pity your shins and knees ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe some soccer shin guards under my pants ;)

i will post a reply this weekend and let everyone know if i made it out alive and how many rocks i got intimate with in the process lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
As you realized, Lower Mish does not include Upper Mish (Stevens Down), or Pine View (Poudre Park section). Lower Mish has less gradient and is less confined. If the trip leader(s) know the run and can give you good lines, and you are prepared for cold, dark water (fire sediment), then the biggest hazards are what you hit swimming (keep feet up) or hit while fishing for your roll, and the odd piece of wood. You can easily road scout the rapids in the top half of the run where there are some large holes worth avoiding. Have fun!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Some (including me) are of the opinion that the Bridges run is easier/safer that Lower Mish. Killer bridge rapid can be portaged on river right or left. The middle section of Lower Mish can be difficult for less experienced three good rapids in a row (Devil's Staircase, Double Drop, and then Ouzel). An alternative is to put in at the day use area below Ouzel and run the last mile down to the Hewlitt Gulch Bridge take-out. You'll get a feel for the bigger/faster water and test your mettle on one good rapid (Doc's Drop). If that goes well then go up and launch at the normal spot.

As for Upper Rustic - water is cold, moving fast at the current levels, shallow/boney, and a long run at 8+ miles. Some sections aren't roadside like they are on Bridges/LMish. It's an awesome run but one to be prepared for.

·
Banned
678 Posts
I'm contemplating going saturday if my new playboat doesn't get here before then. Remember it's not a guided trip it's a cruise... I've never paddled with CW before and I haven't scouted lower mish but if I don't think I'm confident in taking care of myself I'll be bowing out and will probably run filter plant. Can anyone comment on how lower mish compares to foxton or waterton?

I think we paddled together a couple times last year and I think I saw you a week or so ago in golden? If you're flipping and/or not hitting your roll in the playpark I'd be wary of bigger class III.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Can anyone comment on how lower mish compares to foxton or waterton?

-Nick
Poudre is a River, Foxton and Waterton are more like creeks. Poudre is gaelic for "big holes." On the Poudre, you have a long time to think "I wonder if that glassy bit is a hole, huh, it sure does look like a hole, I should probably go around it." On foxton you mostly bounce off of rocks onto other rocks. The bottom part of Waterton above 600 or 700 has similar sized features to most of the lower Poudre above 3.5 ft on the rock, but waterton is flushy, while the Poudre's holes seem more retentive, almost strangely so.

The comparison is that they're different. The Poudre is splashy fun; nice and deep at current levels; plenty of time to roll, just stay out of those bizarrely retentive holes.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Poudre is a River, Foxton and Waterton are more like creeks. Poudre is gaelic for "big holes." On the Poudre, you have a long time to think "I wonder if that glassy bit is a hole, huh, it sure does look like a hole, I should probably go around it." On foxton you mostly bounce off of rocks onto other rocks. The bottom part of Waterton above 600 or 700 has similar sized features to most of the lower Poudre above 3.5 ft on the rock, but waterton is flushy, while the Poudre's holes seem more retentive, almost strangely so.

The comparison is that they're different. The Poudre is splashy fun; nice and deep at current levels; plenty of time to roll, just stay out of those bizarrely retentive holes.
cool, I'm looking forward to checking it out this weekend but secretly hoping my jitsu shows up before then :D

I thought the river was named after some french dudes hiding supplies? "cache de poudre" storage of powder?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts