Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time down there in the heat of summer, usually a September trip for me. How are the Yellow Jackets down there?

Thanks!

Launching on the 5th (next wed)

·
Registered
14 Posts
we did corn creek to heller took off a week ago. Thinks I saw 1 yellow jacket. Some random biting flies at a couple of camps but all in all, biting bugs were non issue. The Trump flags on all of the jet boats were the most irritating pests by far. Make sure your boat is tied off well enough to take the jet boats 2' wave sets all day long. Smallmouth fishing was excellent the lower we got. Have fun!!!!

·
Guppy Captain
39 Posts
Just got back from this stretch yesterday. There weren't many bugs to deal with on the salmon portion, but once we got to the snake there were a lot more yellow jackets and flies/gnats. Nothing was really biting though. It was hotter than hell... be sure to bring a nice big shade wing. We had a couple days of 110+ temps. Have a great trip!

·
Guppy Captain
39 Posts
Smallmouth were biting well on brownish colored rattle traps and curly tail grubs. We had a 7 ft sturgeon visit our shallow eddy at camp and hang out for 20 minutes. Amazing!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Same here, biting flies were terrible. but Yellow Jackets no issue. The heat was oppressing. Until it cools down I would not camp below South Fork.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep an eye out for the rattlers, we saw a few just off the beach in a couple of our camps. Watch your four legged friends if you take them. The wasps are starting to come out that I noticed on some of the beaches and also have fun with the crowds of people trying to get there camp before you. Enjoy

·
Registered
525 Posts
Heading down next week, how bad are crowds this year? We're going to be a smaller group but I'd prefer not to have to get up at 5am, especially with teenagers in camp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts