Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the buzz, great forum. I need some help, I want to float the lower Gunnison from pleasure park to delta.Next weekend primarily for fishing. I can't find any reliable Intel on the take-out. Where is it, etc. Any info on the entire lower Gunnison would help, are the any maps that I can get?
Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
There are two takeout options. One is right next to the bridge in Austin. The other is Confluence park as stated above. At the Austin bridge you may encounter a sign that warns of a waterfall ahead. This refers to a diversion dam that has since been ubdated with a boat passage. I have not run through this dam yet, but it looks fine. Might be a little rough for a canoe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is also a takeout at Orchard, administered by blm. On your way to pleasure after crossing river on highway you will see signs for Gunnison gorge. Turn right and go south about half a mile. Turn left, go a few mile through adobe badlands. Will come on top of a hill with parking lot and the road forks. Take the left fork,which takes you to orchard boat ramp. Ramp is a little sandy, but pretty good. It is about six miles below pleasure. It is on river left about a half mile past an orchard you see on the river. The other two takeout options are longer floats. If you are trout fishing a couple miles below orchard the water is pretty warm and you see fewer trout. PM if you want more info

·
Registered
22 Posts
The takeout at austin bridge is for duckies or canoes only as there is a steep climb over rocks to do it. The takeout that mikepart is speaking of with the waterfall sign is the Highway 65 bridge to Cedaredge and is another 3 or so miles downstream of the Austin Bridge. It has a ramp that you can get a trailer close to. Another 2.5 miles below the Cedaredge bridge is the "Waterfall" the sign warns of. It is actually a diversion dam and has a boat run left of center. The confluence takeout is a short ways below the dam. There is a BLM campsite river right just above this diversion. Double Haul if you have any more questions give a call to the BLM river office 970-240-5312.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts