Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up I did a float fish from pleasure park to blm takeout at orchard on 8/22. The first two miles float through private property. About 1.5 miles in we rounded a slight corner and could see/hear rapid gun fire going into the river from river left about 100 yards down stream of us. The individuals eventually stopped shooting when they noticed we were there. They did not shoot in our direction but was definitely a surprise to see 50 plus shots being fired into the river. We quickly got to the far side of the river and moved past them. Shooting resumed when we were downstream.

This is a fairly popular recreation float for fisherman and families. I regularly see young kids with parents in this section.

I've heard of shots being fired in the air from this property and yelling at boats if they linger too long, but nothing like this. Target shooting into a river used by the public isn't cool. Gun was some sort of semi automatic rifle.

I have reported to both blm and delta sheriff. Hope no one else has this happen to them as it could have turned out bad

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
that river was invading their home and trying to take their stuff, self defense

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are you some kind of commie? Those there boys be expressin their freedom of being a God Blessed "Merican. Why, without guns, you'd be a German by now and wouldn't be able to float down rivers without a permit from the gov'ment. Oh wait, never mind, carry on.

Keep your eyes open and heads down, idiots abound. Stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
4,234 Posts
...Why, without guns, you'd be a German by now and wouldn't be able to float down rivers without a permit from the gov'ment. Oh wait, never mind, carry on.

Keep your eyes open and heads down, idiots abound. Stay safe.
Um, before you get all indignant about not being able to float down rivers without a permit, here's your fun fact for the day: in Colorado you only need a permit to float in Dinosaur National Monument on the Yampa and the Green. That's it for the whole state of Colorado. Don't you need a permit for the Arkansas? nope. Colorado to the State Line? nope. Gunnison, Animas, Roaring Fork, North Platte, South Platte, Blue, Taylor, Piedra? nope, none of them need a permit. Now consider what a shitshow the Green and Yampa in Dino, and camps (now we're talking literal shitshow) there would be without some limitation on how many people float there.

And yes, idiots abound, keep your head down.

-AH

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rule #1, never show up to a gun fight with a paddle or an oar!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Um, before you get all indignant about not being able to float down rivers without a permit, here's your fun fact for the day: in Colorado you only need a permit to float in Dinosaur National Monument on the Yampa and the Green. That's it for the whole state of Colorado. Don't you need a permit for the Arkansas? nope. Colorado to the State Line?

-AH
Don't forget RH.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ha! I've been a guide and a ranger in the area for many years and this particular land owner has always been somewhat of a problem. However he will not bother you if you stay off and steer clear of his land. I've never heard of him firing any shots towards anyone or the river. He has been know to fire shots on his land. You'll know when your close to his property because his dogs run up and down the river barking. Not cool but it is his land...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wtf is going on in co. I have run almost every river in the Nw and never had a problem with land owners as long as I stay along the river banks. The quarter mile law is a federal regulation regarding shooting along rivers and lakes as well. Between your washed up qb and your nutcase landowners C.O sounds like a shitshow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
quarter mile law?

i hunt and shoot more than most, i also stay more well informed about the laws concerning hunting and shooting, that is one that i have never seen or heard about.

can you find where the actual law and post it?

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
It is a shit show, boating sucks, landowners shoot you, people should stop moving hear, and not boat hear, especially upper c and browns in july, those runs SUCK.
I reccomend moving somewhere far, far away, don't boat hear, you wouldn't like it.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Once had very cool landowner walk down to riv with rifle in hand to warn me to go left at dotsero bridge at high water. Think he was out for a morning of varmint shootin'.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It is a shit show, boating sucks, landowners shoot you, people should stop moving hear, and not boat hear, especially upper c and browns in july, those runs SUCK.
I recommend moving somewhere far, far away, don't boat here, you wouldn't like it.
Couldn't agree more.

It all started when we opened our borders up to other states. We are all hoping Trump will get into office. He'll make everyone go back to where they came from. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wtf is going on in co. I have run almost every river in the Nw and never had a problem with land owners as long as I stay along the river banks. The quarter mile law is a federal regulation regarding shooting along rivers and lakes as well. Between your washed up qb and your nutcase landowners C.O sounds like a shitshow.
I too have not heard of this federal reg. I hunt ON rivers and lakes very frequently - meaning I hunt from a boat on the water 20+ days a year. There are laws about shooting while in moving boats (under power either human, wind or motor). There are local ordinances, there are probably state or federal restrictions for certain areas, times or what not but no over riding federal reg restricting shooting from any specific distance from rivers or lakes.

In Montana we are allowed to use the area between the high water marks for bird hunting (Ducks, geese, pheasants, etc) but not Big Game. To hunt big game between the high water marks you have to have to have legal access to land adjacent to at least one bank (i.e. permission, public land or actual ownership, etc.). But you can shoot near, along across or from rivers and lakes here in 'Merica. I'm not saying it's always a good idea, responsible or the best course of action but it is legal and there are plenty of places where it is appropriate, safe and actually done

On a related note to the original post, I know of 2 private shooting ranges that cross rivers we float. One in particular there is a target on the far bank of the East Gallatin and a bench set up on the guys deck. When you float through your head is dead even with the bullseye on the target. It's given me the creeps on several occasions, but I've never actually seen anyone shooting. Maybe it's more about intimidation...

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are laws about shooting while in moving boats (under power either human, wind or motor).
1/4 mile law? Confused indeed. There is a 50ft from centerline of road law. There is a can't shoot from a motorboat or sailboat if the motor is on or sails are up law. No 1/4 mile law. If so a lot of people are in trouble including myself.
I have never heard the human power regulation, just the wind and motor.

Clearly these guys were not hunting but maybe target shooting? Still not a great place to do so but at least they stopped to let you pass.

Be aware and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have never heard the human power regulation, just the wind and motor.

Clearly these guys were not hunting but maybe target shooting? Still not a great place to do so but at least they stopped to let you pass.

Be aware and be safe out there.
When I was younger and living in PDX, we used to go duck and goose hunting on the Clackamas, there were a couple eddies that we would row hard into, once in them, the boat would keep slidding around the corner, we'd get ready and if there were birds we'd all shoot. One day there was a warden nearby who flagged us down and told us it was illegal to shoot while under the influence of propulsion. So I'd taken that as gospel and always "tried" to adhere to it, though it's really a matter of semantics and not always possible to do. So with that said I just looked up Montana's regs and they're very specific for motors and sails and no mention of human power...

Reproduced below:
• From or by means of any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached, or any
sailboat, unless the motor has been completely shut off and/or the sails furled, and
its progress therefrom has ceased

So apparently it's different in Oregon or the warden was uninformed (big surprise, law officials don't know the law) or just being an ass. Anyways I definitely learned something here and I can be more relaxed when out on a jump shoot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts