Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very little shade due to fires a few years ago. Outhouses are gone or are in the process of being pulled. Trains in the wee hours of the morning. We had lots of rattlers in one campsite (6-2021), brain fart on the name, but above Colorado Rapid. And baby burrowing oils are very entertaining at dusk.
Enjoy!
C

·
Jared
735 Posts
You can camp at Beavertail campground for the first night. There aren't a ton of good camps before that anyhow. I typically drive the 3 hours to Beavertail, camp there, and launch the next morning. It is a pretty quiet camp in May. There is a nice sandy beach camp on the left just above Mack's canyon that I wanted to try, looks like endless swimming fun for kids. Lockit is another good camp, upper or lower, and it has a Phoenix toilet as of last June. There are a few camps that look decent past that, but I just like to float out once I get there. We left Lockit at 9 am, floated to Heritage, and were on our way to the Dalles by 12:00 last trip. Snake sightings are sporadic, I have only ever seen two and my labrador goes with us. There were lots of turkeys this year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh yes, the afternoon winds can be fierce! As in no headway. I believe that is more the case the closer you get to the Columbia River. Last years we had wind, but at the take-out by 1pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.