Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Headed to the lower blue with my 12 ft Creek Company 'toon this week. FLows look like around 600. Pretty nervous bc I hear it can be sketcky.... Not alot of stuff on the interent to get a good picture of whats its like. Im still pretty new to rowing and have only run the Eagle (edwards to wolcott above trestle) at lower water and Upper C (pumphouse to radium at 3100 and lower) and (pumphouse to rancho at 1200) and (rancho to twin bridges at varying levels.)

Can anyone give me some advice about what kind of water I will be looking at on Wednesday? Anything helps.

Followin another raft with experienced oarsmen, but even still, wondering about my boat's ability...

Thanks in advance, let the trolling begin......

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey! We actually ran the lower blue Saturday and Sunday in our kayaks! It was fantastic, definitely shallow in spots though. I don't know what it would be like running a pontoon but there's were a bunch of rafts, mostly fishing, running it too. I can tell you they had no trouble getting through at least the diversion dams, and apparently no trouble in the raids before the dams, since they made it that far. It went so smooth they were even catching fish as they were going over the dam! Super fun run!!! Flows were around 500.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. Just what I wanted to know. Kinda worries about running over rocks because my PVC is not as thick as real rafts, nor is my bladder as strong. I guess we will see! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
157 Posts
This year was the first time I've been down it, one at the end of May at almost 1500cfs, (watch your head on those low bridges at that high a flow), and once at about 730cfs. At 600, you'll likely scrape rocks on at least 1or 2 of the dams/weirs. There's 1 big weir that made me a little nervous at 730, but totally doable. Remember - after your get outta the canyon, it's all private and that landowner has a reputation for bringing trespassing charges. Don't get outta your boat! And please report back, I'd love to hear how it went at whatever flows you do it at!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
157 Posts
Forgot to mention I was in a raft with a fishing frame both times. The fishing can be stupendous.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ton of campgrounds at green mountain reservoir. Short drive from even the farthest campground at the reservoir to the put-in below the dam.

To clarify pirate's comment - he doesn't mean class v rowing at put-in and takeout. He means the put-in and takeout are a motherf#%@er. At least with a raft. A single man pontoon boat won't be as bad. You'll see when you get there. Bring some climbing rope, webbing, and a figure 8.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dude your kill'n me! Your going to be fine, but if not. I have a throw bag and a dry towel on board at all times!!!

Here is a pic of the only weir that can cause some inexperienced people, with short boats, problems.

Attachments

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
charlie

Dude your kill'n me! Your going to be fine, but if not. I have a throw bag and a dry towel on board at all times!!!

Here is a pic of the only weir that can cause some inexperienced people, with short boats, problems.
At least im not shitting my pants like my first time rowing ever.... through the needle.

Im more worried about my boat- not my skills. But I talked to my friends who have the same one and they clarified my casting platform will not get swamped and flip me in the weirs.

Im all good now

·
Registered
84 Posts
so how is the best way to get over/around that wier? and the others? it looks like the near path is plugged with debris/sticks....I have a 14' self bailer/frame....on my todo list to get down there to fish....I can handle the climbing rope/belay entrance....thanks, Chet Roe

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
so how is the best way to get over/around that wier? and the others? it looks like the near path is plugged with debris/sticks....I have a 14' self bailer/frame....on my todo list to get down there to fish....I can handle the climbing rope/belay entrance....thanks, Chet Roe

Find the tongue. The water is extremely slow above the weirs, so you'll have plenty of time to boat scout the best entries.

Don't get stuck and have to get out of your boat - plenty of folks have been issued summons for trespassing along the Dowd owned ranch-lands, which is pretty much the entire river section with the weirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
84 Posts
it doesn't look like there is much of any "tongue" on that wier except the right side/near trough coming down...again it looks a bit "clogged" with debris that could be sharp....maybe that's only the picture perspective....is that a/the "tongue" ? thanks, Chet

·
Registered
610 Posts
So this must be after the kayak takeout... how much farther is it to the raft takeout? How many diversion dams are there? Just curious....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
it doesn't look like there is much of any "tongue" on that wier except the right side/near trough coming down...again it looks a bit "clogged" with debris that could be sharp....maybe that's only the picture perspective....is that a/the "tongue" ? thanks, Chet

Idk where hawktoys pic is, but it's not on any section I've run...certainly not on the weir/prime fishing section. I think that's a troll/joking pic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Idk where hawktoys pic is, but it's not on any section I've run...certainly not on the weir/prime fishing section. I think that's a troll/joking pic.

You are correct sir. That wier is not on the Lower Blue.

We thought about running it this weekend but at 530 cfs, but opted out because of a few newbs on the boat. It's really boney through the first canyon. We did it this year at 600 cfs, which is about as low as I've done it. Still tons of rock-dodging (13.5' Aire Super Puma with frame is what we were running) at that flow. The diversion dams aren't much of an issue on a raft, I can't speak from experience regarding the one man toon. If you're worried about rocks and your boat, be real worried...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hehe. Hawk pulled one over on some folks.

To be honest, the dams/weirs made me more nervous than the rock dodging in the canyon, in our 13' DRE fishing raft. But that doesn't seem to be the consensus here among the folks who have more years rowing than me. Perhaps I need to adjust my viewpoint a little. Not saying I shouldn't have a healthy respect for them, or any obstacle, just wondering if I've built them up in my head to be tougher than they are.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The float was great. I think it was around 525-530cfs. Weirs were a bit sketchy in my little 12ft 2man cat, but then again i haven't been rowing for more than a few months. The canyon was fun and perfectly technical for my liking. I think the ideal flow for both fishing and rowing (esp in my toon) would be somewhere between 650 and 700. I had to put my angler on the other boat to take weight off the front, otherwise weeda been swimmin in that cold water!

Stoked to do it again with a little more water.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 42 Posts