Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fully aware that Kara is no longer the contact for the Lower Blue or any other sections of water in the region. Does anyone know who the new contact is? Did they replace the sign at the Lower Blue put in? I ask because I want to find out if the flows are going to stay at least at the current 700 cfs range thru the weekend. Or if you just happen to know the status and you're at least a little bit reliable, I'd happily like to hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry, we ran the Lower Blue Sunday at around 700 cfs. I drove right past that little sign several times (did a couple of laps w/ re-shuttle in between), but I didn't think to read it.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Soggy Tortillas has been posting updates on what's going on with releases - I think she got on the water manager's email list or something like that. I've got a message in to Kara to see who is running the public outreach scene at the Bureau of Reclamation these days. Hopefully she'll weigh in on what's up.

-AH

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I searched through the state BLM employee list when I saw your first post and it doesn't appear that her position has been refilled...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy and Logan. I recalled Soggy's prior messages, and was hoping she might chime in. Life must be getting in the way of answering my Q's.

Xena13, based on Logan's comment I assume that sign hasn't changed. But still, you're dead to me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey guys, yeah I've been on Westwater the past coupla days so you are correct... life did get in the way. Life is good.
Anyway, guy named Victor Lee is who I spoke to in the office... definitely took a few transfers to talk figure out who to talk to. From what he told me, levels can change pretty abruptly based on who is calling and what their current storage is. When I talked to him in July (I think) he told me he really didn't expect flows to be above 500 for the rest of the year... but then they increased it shortly thereafter and it's still flowing above 700... I'd go for it, just watch the flows the morning before you leave. I'll try to keep everyone posted if there's a big change coming, usually he sends out an order a few hours before they change the flows.
I think Kara had some kind of awesome crystal ball that told her when people were going to be calling for water.

·
WWTom
8 Posts
Lower Blue

So, is anyone doing Lower Blue this weekend? I'm looking to join up with my hard-boat. I also have a place to stay in Silverthorne to add to the ante.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Weekend Trip Planning Posts moved

Admin Note:

Hey folks, this topic's about a contact with the managers of the lower blue, it'll likely go on for longer than this weekend. I've done a little cleanup and moved the posts from folks looking for float partners this weekend to this thread:
Anyone Floating/fishing on Lower Blue this weekend? (10/17-18/15)

If you're interested in going and running the river, please post there. Have a great time on the water - should be beautiful!

Thanks!

-AH

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The sign is still the same, but with Kara's name whited out. I'll have to try the # when I'm headed back out. The flows were at 750 yesterday, and super clear. The fish weren't hungry tho.

And for the buzz lurkers we met, my 13' boat is 92 lbs. The 12'er is the 78 lbs my hangover brain was recalling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I searched through the state BLM employee list when I saw your first post and it doesn't appear that her position has been refilled...
I just heard from Kara, she's at another agency but still keeps tabs with the BOR office where she used to work. As Logan speculated, due to sequestration, her position has not been filled. Not only that but a senior water engineer also left who was heavily involved with flows forecasting.

So getting someone to communicate to us what's going on with Blue, Big Thompson, & other releases will be like going to someone who's already been asked to "do more with less" and take on one more thing that's not in their regular to do list.

In her parting words on Blue releases, she said:

I think the main thing for Buzzards to remember is that Green Mountain has that late run pattern. The ag users downstream typically seem to hold out their calls until September and October. So, traditionally, but not always, the highest flows seem to be during runoff and in late summer/early fall.
Hopefully she'll be able to find someone at the BOR to be the Buzz liason.

-AH

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
I'm thinking about heading up there in a few days...

Anyone seen if that strainer by the wall is still there?? I remember hearing about it a few weeks ago, but no updates since....

Thanks!!!

·
WWTom
8 Posts
I ran it on Sunday and didn't see a strainer by the cliff wall. There was one downstream, maybe a half-mile above Spring Creek takeout but avoidable (even in a raft). The reservoir was looking kinda low though. Hopefully they keep the flow up through the weekend!

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
sweet, thanks for the info!!

joslyn57, which side of the river was the strainer you saw??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts