Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys we are going to have very short windows to run any of our favorite western slope creeks and rivers this year. I did a run on Lower Anthracite yesterday and did some flossing but was by myself so not to successful getting bigger stuff out. If anyone wants to do this run it is more than worth it. I do not expect this run to last more than 3 weeks this year. Snowpack is 40% of normal and no snow below 9000 ft. at all. Fast, tight, changing to channels with strainers, in a secluded canyon with no other people. Give me a jingle at 497-6512 if interested. Next week flows will probably top so will combine with Lower Crystal run below Redstone and then it will be done. To give everyone a reality check, there has been no snow on top of Mclure Pass for 2 weeks now ( 9,500 ft. ), and no snow below 9000 period. Very little snow above 10,000 in entire West Elk range. Better get it now!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So we have had a change of plans; doing a sunday run instead for hopefully more water and better time frame for other kayakers. All you western slope paddlers looking for something totally new, this is a really neat run, without major drama, just non-stop fun. Planning on meeting at take-out around 10:00 for a 10 mile creek run; might do 2 runs cause it is so much fun. Contact number is Gunther at 497-6512.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a go, we have 5 paddlers meeting at the Safe-Way gas station parking lot at 8:45 in Delta to continue to take-out for Anthracite run. This is a much funner run than the North Fork run cause its constant II+ to III with little to no flat water, and with overall creek features but easy moves. This will be done by end of May if not sooner! Planning on another run next Sat. with a bigger group, maybe!!

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Hey gunny, thanks for floss work. Good for river karma. Is that the run w a hike in? How is the hike in? Is the run really class III? Always wondered. Love to see it sometime.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the run we do is lower Anthracite (Erickson Springs campground) to bottom of Paonia Resevoir, and yes that section is non-stop boogy class II+ to III the entire 10 mile run. The upper 4 mile run is called Dark Canyon with a 3 mile hike in and more class IV to III. Mikesee had some good info and video of the run last year, maybe do a search and you'll find video. Did the lower yesterday with a friend at 700 cfs and still real fun. Might hang on till early june with this cold weather. Still one mandatory portage easy to see portage on left just before huge tree, and one hard sneak on right of overhanging small cottonwood also easy to see .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts