Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a ducky/shredder trip though Yampa Canyon in mid-September. The folks at the ranger station said they wouldn't do it below 1,000 cfs, the shuttle folks are saying 400-500 cfs, and Whitewater of the Southern Rockies is saying 700. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
We did a ducky trip years ago. I'd guess the flow was in that 400-500 range you mention. It was a fine trip with no problems, but lots of paddling on the flat water. You should do it if you have at least that flow.

·
Registered
676 Posts
what about in a 14' raft? thinking of this over the coming long weekend....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
How about a canoe at less than 1000 cfs in the Yampa maybe a bit more thru Split Mt if the Lodore run is low as well.

Just curious

·
Registered
711 Posts
How about a canoe at less than 1000 cfs in the Yampa maybe a bit more thru Split Mt if the Lodore run is low as well.

Just curious
Should be fine with a canoe, too, presuming you are good at paddling and steering. There will be some rocks around that might be unavoidable.

About five years ago we had two guys in a canoe who had a bit of a problem coordinating their paddling in Moonshine. They got sideways, pinned the canoe, and it split in half! They were very sad, especially the canoe's owner.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any advice on how long of a trip it would be at lower water (700 cfs or so)? Doable over the long weekend?
It's about 72 miles from Deer Lodge to Split. That's more miles than I'd want to do in three days. Most people, I think, would want to take four days minimum to do it.

It's such a beautiful canyon, you don't want to rush through it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Just curious
Have done several low water canoe trips on the Yampa with water levels between 500 and 800 cfs.With a fully loaded canoe the higher water is easier.Warm Springs usually challenging but the bigger rapids on the Green are more difficult in an open boat.The last 2 trips we have taken out at Echo Park.It is shorter [5-6 days] and I dont really like the camps on the Green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts