Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a San Juan trip coming up at the end of march. Going from Sand Island to Clay Hills taking 7 days. Just wondering if there are some really good low water camps or do they all get kinda weird with hauls up to camp thru mud and such. I've read that Slickhorn can be a haul in the mud. I've been down once a while ago but it was running a couple grand when I went. Also, anyone know if the Mexican Hat camp, across from mexican hat and the road is any good. We are thinking of hitting that camp or something up there and picking up people at mexican hat ramp on day 3.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most of the camps are pretty decent at a low flow. Some are impossible to get to because of cut banks. I remember being in there at 450cfs and I had Slickhorn D as a camp. The hike from the boat to the actual camp was like 200+ft. or maybe it just seemed like that. I don't remember dealing with too much mud on the San Juan, maybe the wind dries it all out :D, now the Deso in low water, that is another story!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The last 2 Slickhorns can be rough at the low end around 500 cfs.

There is one camp on river right just after River House and before the channels above Big Stick that can be impossible to reach at low water.

Most camps are fine though.

Have a good trip. Can be a great time of year in there.

Phillip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts