Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get some input from the community. Planning on doing a run through the Gorge this Saturday and was wondering how much sun we can expect this time of year down there. Also how boney will it be? We will be in a Mini Max and a Paddle cat so tight lines are not an issues just want to get an idea of what to expect.

Also if anyone wants to join hit me up, we will be launching around 10am from Parkdale.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very little sun. There's a couple of places you can stop and warm up. Most of the rapids are in the shade. There's quite of bit of sun on the paddle out though.

It's around 500. Not very bony at all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hey let me know how this trip goes... ive only been in the gorge once, years ago.... would love to see it again....

what is the easiest level in the gorge for say a mini max or an IK... ?!?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I find it easiest in my IK at around 700-800 cfs. But 500 or so is still pretty fun. (Rafts seem to have more carnage at 500 at Sunshine) You guys interested in some company? I could help with shuttle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Company is always welcome, we might be a bit tight on room in the boats depending on who commits. If you have your own craft all the better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd be interested as well - would bring my own IK so space not an issue. Can help with the shuttle as well. Anyone know the water temp this time of year? I'm assuming full body wetsuit? I don't own a dry suit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, It will be good to have a couple IK's along. I ran Browns a couple weeks ago and the water was 54° so a wet suit in my opinion would be manditory.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ran this run for the first time last Sunday also in an IK, along with 2 kayaker friends. I have run lots of upperend class III and some mild class IV. I had my worst ever swim in my life at Sunshine rapid. Would suggest a scout or follow someone who really knows the low-flow lines well. There is a pour-over on right side that has a nasty looking hydraulic. The middle 4 rapids were definitely at my peak of comfort level, even at 550 cfs. After Boateater rapid the run is actually really fun, not so intense. Just don't get too relaxed cause low flows, it is still tough boating in the middle. Be safe guys!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts