Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy holidays ya'll!
In case you're bored, here's our trip vid from our middle fork trip. 1.5 ft.
We flew into Indian creek with literally 4 tons of gear.
Tons of carnage but a wonderful team, great spirits and memories galore.
Caution: it's 50 minutes long.

Ps. no motors except shuttle planes.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
273 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Looks like it was an exciting trip. Had you all been down before? Any lessons learned, or tips you'd like to pass on to others that would dare a low-water trip?

It looked like the water turned super muddy that last day!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fun looking group and well done on the video. Cool that you pooled folks’ clips into one.

confession: “ship your damn oar!!” might have slipped from my mouth a time or two, especially watching the one lady @ cove creek(?) before getting super stuck. oooof.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Fun looking group and well done on the video. Cool that you pooled folks’ clips into one.

confession: “ship your damn oar!!” might have slipped from my mouth a time or two, especially watching the one lady @ cove creek(?) before getting super stuck. oooof.
For sure.... felt like I was screaming that in my head all day on my July 1st trip too. I did a lot of waiting for people to get themselves unstuck on that trip. Didn't need any z-dragging though. Still looked like a fun trip though. Missed out on some fun stuff above Indian...but if trip members were struggling with getting stuck below it would have been super rough above.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had you all been down before? Any lessons learned, or tips you'd like to pass on to others that would dare a low-water trip?

It looked like the water turned super muddy that last day!
For the majority of our group, it was a first descent. A whole bunch of read and run.
Any tips... I'd say have a solid group of folks with decent boating skills and calm dispositions. Most folks honed their low water skills as we went. Everyone had a master's degree in unpinning themselves by day 3. It's easy to get discouraged, freaked out, tired blah blah. The groups staying positive, supportive and in good humor will likely be successful and have a wonderful time.

Yes, there was a big rain storm upstream of us. We didn't have rain at camp. We woke up to muddy conditions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha! Yes sir. She wanted to make a separate video titled " woes of a river rookie " that documented her trip from start to finish. This video was almost that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice move pulling those folks on river right out.
Did you pull the eddy high N center and throw them a rope?
I'm nearly always available if you need an extra boat from the top..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you pull the eddy high N center and throw them a rope?
I'm nearly always available if you need an extra boat from the top..
Sorta. Just dropped my nose in close enough and their bow person was able to just grab my perimeter line and hold on. Worked kinda slick.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
What a fun group that was working together to unpin rafts.

MFS is one of my favorite floats. Probably like many watching this video I found myself moving around in my chair making air rowing moves as the pin's happened. Good video work. If you guys want to share, what was the estimated cost to fly in all that gear?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I agree with your theory.

Actually not bad and you miss all the misery of pins and drags on the upper part.

Never done the fly in but one year we did spend a layover at Flying B and that was a great place for a layover. We had good water that year and making miles was easy.

Again, thanks for sharing your trip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Happy holidays ya'll!
In case you're bored, here's our trip vid from our middle fork trip. 1.5 ft.
We flew into Indian creek with literally 4 tons of gear.
Tons of carnage but a wonderful team, great spirits and memories galore.
Caution: it's 50 minutes long.
Yardsells - we do a live video review show on Fridays at 2 PM and would love to review this video. I really like how you all have some struggles but have good attitudes about the trip and make good, calm decisions. Would you mind if we did a video review your trip vid on our channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF_u22nly3EKvzumOIFK2Aw)?

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
These guys do some cool videos. Zac is also an outfitter on the Middle Fork and in Oregon. I learned a couple things from one of his low water video discussions and I have been boating out there since '91 with about 50 low water trips, so that was cool to get a couple new ideas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1. Your link doesn't work.
2. Probably totally cool with it. I'd just like to know who "we" are...
Oops. Here's the correct link to our channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF_u22nly3EKvzumOIFK2Aw .

The "we" is my friend Aaron and I. Aaron is a long time commercial guide and private boater and we do a weekly "Better than mediocre rafting show on YouTube. For reference, here's a link to our last episode:

Your video would be fun to review and could potentially help other boaters considering a low water Middle Fork trip.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts