Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we will be launching on the MFS aug 4th.. It's looking to be about 2.0 to 1.9 at that point.. I'm trying to put my game plan together for mailage and camps.. We are a small group of 9 with 5 boats loaded fairly light.. I know the first two days are going to be slow going and a little rough.. People say take two full days above indian creek. We also like to take a fairly short day on the last day.. we will be doing the trip in seven days but if we only make ten miles per day the first two and leave a short ten mile day on the last day, that leaves you with a 17 mile per day average on day 3 through 6. Is this how you would go about it.. would you try and pick up a few more miles early.. or if you have to add in some longer 20 to 22 mile days i'm guessing you would want to do it on day four five or six.. or should we try and avoid the longer days period..

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've done 4 and 5 day trips at that water level and lower, so to me 7 days is VERY doable. Those short trips have been due to limited time off of members of the groups. As long as everyone's expectations are set up front for some longer days on the water I think you'll be fine. The first day is always the slowest and least amount of miles unless everything goes near perfect at the put-in and you get an early start. Packing light will definitely help thru Indian. Longest day I've done on the MF at low flows was just over 30 miles and it was a big day but also rewarding. A short final day is always preferred though I've never camped below Elk Bar - we just make sure we get up and out early the last day. If you can get out of the canyon early enough you can always run the 7 mile daily stretch (Pine Creek to Panther Creek) on your way out - adds a nice fun touch to the trip. For what it's worth I'm the type who would prefer to spend most my time on the water vs. in camp. Now that I'm getting older and have kids my attitude is slowly changing and I don't mind spending more time in camp.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It really depends on the section. Day 1 and 2 you will be happier with slightly shorter days. The day(s) from indian to loon you might want to keep shorter since it is mostly flat and slow. Then pick it back up. Even at low water the lower section moves along.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
cody - as you may know the outfitters launch light boats and go to Indian Creek in one long day. I don't think that level is that bad but my meter may be uncallibratable since I have launched at very, extremely much lower than that. I usually relax after Powerhouse and Sheepeater or below should be very manageable on a light first day. With a good solid second day with an early start you should be able to make Sunflower that is about 20 and some great boating and Sunflower if you have the small group is awesome.
Three miles an hour pretty easy if you don't have trouble and don't fish too long.

The reefs below Pistol and the section just above Marble Creek are some of my favorite fishing out there so depending on your addiction to slaying the cutthroat that might make a difference too. Still light until 9 and you could come in late to Sunflower or lay up at Pungo or above.
Indian Creek confluence and Pungo would be good earlier camps.

Slower at the top
Joe Bump or Fire Island 10 or 13
Dolly Lake 20
Upper or Lower Jackass 37
Upper or Lower Grouse 56 Tappan Island could be awesome too.
Little Pine, Driftwood, Wilson 71,72,73 or even as far as Survey 75.
Ship Island, Lightning or Parrot 86, 87 or as far as Otter 90 if it's available.

That leaves 14 or so to get out and it's the easiest miles down there but the drops still demand attention. Devil's Tooth and Jump Off can be kicking. Besides the classics Redside, Weber and Rubber.

Just a few thoughts for you. Have a ball.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the quality info.. I almost just PM'ed you carvedog, but I thought that this could be helpful info to someone else.. We will have a blast no matter what..

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The reefs below pistol also offer some excellent ppaces to get stuck. Just when you thought you were in the clear, bwahaha! :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
89 Posts
Launched last year at 8/5 and it was 1.7'. It was low but the first 25 mile to Indian Creek was the best part. We did fly in gear and picked it up at Indian Creek. I want to say it was like $400 and well worth it. We did float with the tubes not totally inflated and that really worked to not get stuck on the rocks. There was one lady in another group who really got stuck all the time. I bet 2' will be far better than 1.7'. Have fun wish I pulled a permit but.....:(

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Try the new camp thistleberry just before sheepeater maybe mile 12? Just downstream you can ford the river and hit the hotsprings. Solitude is a good last day small group camp past rubber. We did selway last year paradise to moose in 2 days at 1' so its probably similar to what you will experience at 1.9 up till pistol. The rest you can do up to 30 miles a day if you skip most of the points of interest. The most techical sections at that flow will probably be chutes, tappan 2? and devils tooth. The old adage run tubes soft does help a lot. But dont fall asleep at the oars due to the added wrap possibilities.

Here was our most recent 6 nights at 2.28 group of 10
Thistleberry
Sunflower
Cave
Pool
Pool
Cliffside

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Try the new camp thistleberry just before sheepeater maybe mile 12? Just downstream you can ford the river and hit the hotsprings.
Must be river right as Scout is river left and above that you have a rocky point.
I can attest that there are many places to walk across the river near Sheepeater as I have walked my boat into camp more than once there.

Innaresting.

Glad you had a good trip.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please reply wtrip report...

So we will be launching on the MFS aug 4th.. It's looking to be about 2.0 to 1.9 at that point.. I'm trying to put my game plan together for mailage and camps.. We are a small group of 9 with 5 boats loaded fairly light.. I know the first two days are going to be slow going and a little rough.. People say take two full days above indian creek. We also like to take a fairly short day on the last day.. we will be doing the trip in seven days but if we only make ten miles per day the first two and leave a short ten mile day on the last day, that leaves you with a 17 mile per day average on day 3 through 6. Is this how you would go about it.. would you try and pick up a few more miles early.. or if you have to add in some longer 20 to 22 mile days i'm guessing you would want to do it on day four five or six.. or should we try and avoid the longer days period..
I'll be launching boundry creek Aug 13th. Will be very interested in any current info about the MFS. Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
On my first MFS trip I showed up, rigged, oriented and launched at 11 and still ran to sunflower mile 32.

That was 1.6'

I was crazy light, never scouted and only fished for 2 hours. On the water I pushed full time in rapids, and pulled any flats. I slinked into camp at deep dusk.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just got off MFS! Of course it was a blast although the fishing was a bust. The rio spiked from 2.08 to 2.6 and it turned into chocolate milk. Can't complain about the extra water helping me through the upper section. The micro burst did do plenty of damage to some long standing ponderosas at shelf and hospital bar. Not much wood in the river as the wind just laid them over parallel to the water. Always a good reminder of being careful about where you put your raft and tent at camp. Gin pools are still there and still get me drunk.

·
SarahofTheWaves
377 Posts
Launch September 24th!
Small self-support IK and kayak trip. Hoping 6 nights is manageable from Boundary.
Days will be shorter but boats will be faster.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Launch September 24th!
Small self-support IK and kayak trip. Hoping 6 nights is manageable from Boundary.
Days will be shorter but boats will be faster.
We did it in October, from Boundary, in 5. We were planning on 6 and had amazing weather.... Until night four. Day 5 was nasty and we decided to power out the last 20 something miles. Good call, it snowed for days.

Warm gear, tarps, and high carbs are your friend.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oct 28 I drove 5 hours and launched around noon

Day 1: sunflower 32
Day 2: camas 60?
Day 3: cache at 10pm 99

In a 15' cat solo. It was a push but I still loved it.
Plan for not only short days but limited sun. I had to stop and dry out my bag when it was good sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
556 Posts
Launched two moderately loaded cats from the top on the first. Scout, Indian creek, loon, driftwood, and cutthroat cove. No major problems, one boat got hung up in the top 10 a couple times. Great trip.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Launched two moderately loaded cats from the top on the first. Scout, Indian creek, loon, driftwood, and cutthroat cove. No major problems, one boat got hung up in the top 10 a couple times. Great trip.

Was the water fairly clear at launch? Did you fish?

Waterfall Creek blowout looks straight forward but haven't seen but one or two pics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Blowout?

Waterfall Creek blowout looks straight forward but haven't seen but one or two pics.

Waterfall Creek blew out? Went down on Aug 14-20 and it was the same as always. Shelf Camp on the other hand is completely messed up. High water may remove the tree, we can only hope.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Waterfall Creek blew out? Went down on Aug 14-20 and it was the same as always. Shelf Camp on the other hand is completely messed up. High water may remove the tree, we can only hope.
Oops my bad. Not enough coffee I guess. Wall Creek blew out from what I understand. A misty overhanging grotto like wall that has a good surf wave at higher flows. I only saw one picture but I can't find it again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts