Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been tough getting used to not paddling all the time since moving to durango, back in Bama we were able to paddle year round. Trying to stay in paddling shape for the green race this year has been tough, lots of flatwater paddling above 32nd. The past few weekends we have ventured up to the rockwood box and bakers box. Rockwood is actually a good time at these low flows, I recommend a playboat and hand paddles for maximum enjoyment. Bakers is another story, its a whole new animal at this level, we took our playboats, and there were some good playboating spots out there. For the most part the entire run is a big sieve. Everything goes though, except swollen member, which requires getting out of your boat and seal launching through a sieve sideways...sketchy. there are one or two more spots where you need to get out of the boat for a min. All in all it is ok in there, VERY steep, VERY channalized, and VERY commiting, there were multiple rapids that are in the 10-15 ft range, with absolutely no room for error. So if anyone is feeling froggy than there is still some boating to be done around Durango. Hoping to head back into the middle box this upcoming weekend, I believe it might be the best playboat run of all at these flows. Any takers out there

-Danny

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Danny

Hey Danny, good to see your still getting out there. I am amazed you still hitting Bakers, it has got to be scary in there right now. You are going to have to help me out finding some good hand paddles, i think it may be my best option. I think i can bolt one on to a shaft that will come out of a wrist prosthetic. And to think all the shit I gave you for hand paddling...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did the town run in August, as I have several times when visiting my sister and her family in Durango. What a tragedy. For once, at times I had to follow commercial rafts in order to find a practical route. I know the water diversion contractors are happy; I hope the Utes think it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Did the town run in August, as I have several times when visiting my sister and her family in Durango. What a tragedy. For once, at times I had to follow commercial rafts in order to find a practical route. I know the water diversion contractors are happy; I hope the Utes think it was worth it.
While I'm no fan of ALP, Lake Nightmare's uphill pumping has nothing to do with the low water in the Animas town run. Simply put, it's a weak snowpack followed by an incredibly weak monsoon. The diversion for ALP is below Smelter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve, thanks for clearing that up. My Durango relatives, not being regular river users, did not know where the diversion occurred.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony we cant wait for you to get back around here, glad to hear your getting better. I have talked to my buddie who handmakes carbon fibre hand paddles, I think we have some ideas that would work out great for you. Ill be looking forward to share some hand paddling adventures with you.

Danny

·
A Political Theorist
239 Posts
Rube Goldstein!

While I'm no fan of ALP, Lake Nightmare's uphill pumping has nothing to do with the low water in the Animas town run. Simply put, it's a weak snowpack followed by an incredibly weak monsoon. The diversion for ALP is below Smelter.
Maybe, maybe not. The summer flows look too low in comparison to what is only a modestly dry year. 2009 precipitation does not correlate with 2002, but the flows are somewhat similar.

Would be interesting to see the amount of "extra" diversions which took place upstream of Durango this summer. I expect that more than a few cfs were pumped out with the paranoid idea of preventing the next step toward stealing their water through actual ALP diversions.

It is locally accepted strategy to blame ALP for all Animas water woes since the cabal who cooked it up were likely involved in some manner. Orwell you can use.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I agree with DSteve that the low flows are mostly due to weak pack and weak monsoon, although I have definitely been curious about a particular diversion in the valley that has literally been brimming with water for months even while the river itself nearby has a riverwide sandbar visible. Doesn't make a lot of sense...

Is Rockwood still doable in a raft right now?

Maybe, maybe not. The summer flows look too low in comparison to what is only a modestly dry year. 2009 precipitation does not correlate with 2002, but the flows are somewhat similar.

Would be interesting to see the amount of "extra" diversions which took place upstream of Durango this summer. I expect that more than a few cfs were pumped out with the paranoid idea of preventing the next step toward stealing their water through actual ALP diversions.

It is locally accepted strategy to blame ALP for all Animas water woes since the cabal who cooked it up were likely involved in some manner. Orwell you can use.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Colorado is a tough state for year-round boating. Durango is especially tough. You might want to try Shoshone up in Glenwood. It's dam release.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Training Grounds

Hey Danny,

Andy seems to do great in races, such as this years FIBArk. He trains a bunch in Durango. I think he's even known to paddle above 32nd st from time to time.

Good luck with the Green Race.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah the skiing will be good when the time comes, back in the southeast you could go run the Raven Fork during the day and then go ski that night.

·
Registered
790 Posts
yeah the skiing will be good when the time comes, back in the southeast you could go run the Raven Fork during the day and then go ski that night.
Dude... thats not skiing. Comparatively anyway. I hear ya on the low wate blues. I got them too. You Durangotangs are lucky to at least have Rockwood still doable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts