Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost Oar - one in our party lost a black Cataract oar in Hell’s Half Mile of the Middle Fork on 12 June.
Repatriation would be most welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We launched the same day as you. Unfortunately, we never found your oar. :(

Side note, were you in the group with the green boat that got pretty hung up trying to go right around one of the islands on the first day? If so, our entire group felt bad that there wasn't a safe spot for us to pull off and lend a hand.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that Green boat with us was parked there for quite some time. I was positioned downriver with binoculars watching them work it off - thankfully they did by redistributing their load.
I was relieved as there was no easy place to hike up to reach them but I was getting close to making an attempt.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
We launched the same day as you. Unfortunately, we never found your oar. :(

Side note, were you in the group with the green boat that got pretty hung up trying to go right around one of the islands on the first day? If so, our entire group felt bad that there wasn't a safe spot for us to pull off and lend a hand.
Sounds like my trip last year....one guy had a moment of indecision in Hells Half Mile and got stuck in the log jam at the head of the island. Ended up having to flip the raft over to dislodge it and I ended up chasing it for 8 miles before finally getting it stopped so we could unflip it. It hit a couple huge boulder pourovers and smashed the crap out of his drybox. He had managed to get himself into sweep posistion and none of us knew he was having a problem till it was too late. That river moves fast at 6 feet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts