Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,234 Posts
Here's a post from a drone thread a few years back:

Drone impact to wildlife

Having known some rafters that were kind of like big ol' bears...

But seriously, I saw this article recently in the Ars Technica science section. Drones have been used in wildlife research lately, and it was thought they had little impact on the subjects due because the animals didn't show much reaction to the drones studying them. Then some researchers equipped bears with heart monitors to test that and found the bears' heart rate highly elevated, indicating lots of stress from the drones.

The results described the heaviest impact to one of the bears, but the research shows drones are a significant stressor:

In those five-minute windows, one bear's heart rate climbed all the way from 41 beats per minute to 162, while the rest of the bears saw beats-per-minute jumps as low as 30 and as high as 80. Still, each bear had the spike in common, along with a resulting drop to a normal heartrate shortly afterward. This came despite a seeming lack of visible response, with the exception of one bear that appeared to react. The bears in the study included two mama bears and their respective cubs; a lone male bear; and a female bear on the verge of hibernation.
Here's the graphic from the article showing what happened when the flew the drone over the bear. The gray bars are the 5-minute overflights:

Reactions: Nanko

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Sax and bass here

·
Registered
549 Posts
I saw a dude once that had a stand up base made of a washtub and a composite oar. Dude was good on it. Played for a band called Blame Sally. Carbondale at Steve’s Guitars if memory serves.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Please leave your drones, boom boxes and musical instruments at home. The sound of off-key singing and attempts to play instruments are more offensive and intrusive over a distance than a drone.

Just saying and thank you if you allow others to enjoy the canyons we went to visit for the purpose to commune with and appreciate what was there before us.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Moki Mac used to do an annual bluegrass trip on the Grand Canyon and they brought a group down to play each evening and passengers on the trip were interested in the music. I happened to camp with them at cremation once and got to see their show it was quite memorable. They had a comical song about all the quirks of boatmen which was very funny. I have also seen a small orchestra in Tuck Up and that was incredible also.

·
Registered
246 Posts
And now for the 27 rendition of wagon wheel!!!!

Just got off the grand and had a wonderful trip that included light shows at blacktail, racetrack, and surprise with amplified music.

Ive been on trips were there was "live music"... I'll take my headphones and my jbl charge 4 anyday. It's just important to boat with people who have common sense about their volume on and off the river....

41 - 51 of 51 Posts