Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found this on the subject:
Because the Wilderness Act restricts the use of “motorized or mechanized equipment,” drones are not allowed because they obviously have motors. Just like the National Park restriction though, the Forest Service does not have the jurisdiction to restrict or ban the flight of drones in the National Airspace.
Despite this, it is my opinion that you should respect this restriction. While the Wilderness Act was put in place to minimize the effect that manned vehicles have on these pieces of land, the other part of the equation here is that people go to Wilderness Areas to get away from everything. I don’t think it is too much to ask to fly your drone somewhere else. Also, if you look at how much of the National Forest land is considered a Wilderness Area, it’s not a lot.
With that being said, I have NEVER seen a drone on the river and I don't think it would bother me much.They have a limited flight time and if it aint buzzing around my head no biggy. I think there are lots of other things to complain about if thats what you're into.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unfortunately, the Green River itself in Deso is not in federally designated Wilderness. The entire RR side of the river IS federally designated Wilderness, generally up to the waterline, once you cross into Emery County (roughly 50 miles down from Sand Wash at Chandler/Trail), and has been since the signing of the Dingell Act in late 2019, which created Wilderness all over Emery County from the Swell to Desolation (Thanks Emery County! Tell your friends in Garfield and Kane!) However the RR side upstream of Emery County is still a hodgepodge of WSA and other proposed Wilderness and has not yet been designated by Congress. So, technically one can fly a drone on Deso if launched from the river (that is, it isn't Wilderness that prevents this; BLM and the Ute tribe can of course make whatever regulations they want). But there is a big difference in my book between what one can do and what one should do. Then again, I'm just an old tree hugger who thinks it isn't about me or my crappy footy for the boys.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
The key takeaway from that is, just cuz you can do it doesn't mean you should...

Reactions: cake

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Westwater is a WSA, yet haven't we seen drone footage from there posted without adverse remark?

FWIW,

Rich Phillips
There have been two that I know of, that have received tickets....

Reactions: Nanko

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Marshal, what I meant was the prior lack here of condemnation about WW drone footage, compared with this Deso situation.

If the WW footage eventually resulted in official sanctions, bravo.

Rich

·
Registered
175 Posts
Few clarifications. NPS does have authority to restrict aircraft in national airspace. In Grand Canyon for example, flight restrictions extend many thousands of feet beyond the standard 400' altitude. Wilderness does not have authority to restrict aircraft in airspace. Wilderness does have authority to restrict possession of aircraft within its bounds.

Thus in the park system, you can possess a drone but you can't fly without a permit. Conversely, you can fly a drone into wilderness but neither the craft nor the pilot can touch the ground within its boundary. Generally speaking. Localized regs are increasingly complex.

Lastly, it's fun to joke about shooting drones from the sky but be aware it's a felony. The FAA does not have a sense of humor, and they do not allow citizens to determine which aircraft are okay to shoot down. That quadcopter is not a clay pigeon. It's a multi thousand dollar autonomous aerial camera platform which, for all you know, is there on special permit or official business.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Late to the party but if you are curious about restrictions, the FAA has an app called B4UFly, that drone operators use to determine restrictions on airspace. I see nothing restricting flights around Desolation. As was mentioned, the FAA doesn't really differentiate between shooting down someone's drone versus a 737, of course responsible drone owners wouldn't bother other groups, but if you do have a problem report it to the FAA. Regulations are going into place to track all drone flights, they have definitely been known to fine operators who break the rules.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is another app called AIRMAP that dose the same. I don't think most drone pilots are out to bother anyone. Thanks Osprey and Rightoarleft for your rational input.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Reactions: Andy H.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The bird thing doesn’t make sense: do they mass abandon nests every time a predator approaches? No wonder they’re endangered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
thanks for all the enlightening replies.
the ranger said he`d take a look for it (no tongue lashing included).
hey! wanna see some groover pics? me either! packing it up is enough😂
i`m happy the guitars and mandolin made it down without getting wet or destroyed by invading forces of live acoustic
music haters (cuz haters will hate).
thanks again, really enjoyable.... stay safe out there!!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts