Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to oar our mini raft on the Chama this coming weekend. Anyone with a spot on their permit or permit up for grabs? Easy to get along with - mostly looking for some relaxation - be our first time down the Chama have heard great things and our weekend just opened up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More about us: Early 30's couple - I'm a river restoration expert, she a farmer/local foods expert. Easy going, like to kick back, fun expected but total booze cruise party not our style for the Chama trip. Be more interested in really soaking in the scenery and some peaceful camping. Willing to help with food or just take care of our selves. Willing to help with shuttle or pay for the service.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
what's the lowest level cfs you can raft this river at in a 14 foot raft? thinking of a new years trip.
Generally people say the return is not worth the effort below 500. I have heard of people rafting it down to around 350. There won't be any water in the Chama in January (probably around 50 cfs) and it will most likely be frozen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it holds in the 250 range we may attempt a lightweight backpacking style float in a hyside mini next weekend. Might be a few gravel bars to walk through and some pinballing but otherwise should be good to go in a little boat. Wondering if other (IK, canoes, minis) have experience on such low water/off season missions?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If it holds in the 250 range we may attempt a lightweight backpacking style float in a hyside mini next weekend. Might be a few gravel bars to walk through and some pinballing but otherwise should be good to go in a little boat. Wondering if other (IK, canoes, minis) have experience on such low water/off season missions?
I'll bet it would go. Let us know what you find if you go.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Blazer,
As long as you expect to possibly walk at some point you'll be fine in the mini at that level but not any lower. I believe we had around 400 in a 14' with gear for a family of 4 and it was def. worth it. I also brought my fishing gear.

I'll look at my notes as our second camp spot had some pretty sweet hiking.

get that last float in before hockey time

Rob T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts