Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just scored a Lodore Canyon trip putting on on November 6th and I'm looking to fill it. I'm the only one currently signed on but I'd heavily prefer not to do it Solo, so looking to fill the trip up with a few people.

I'll be paddling my Avon Pro oar rig, but I'd love to have at least one more gear boat. I'd especially love it if someone came a long that had a fire pan and groover and some of the other river essentials that I haven't acquired yet. Also, figuring out shuttle will be helpful too.

The 6th is a Friday, and my plan was to make it a 4 or 5 day trip and do some off river activities. If other people can't do more then a weekend, then I'm open to making it a 3 day though. I don't mind some drinking and other stuff, but I also don't want it to be a drunken rager either. I'd like to keep it to 10 people or so, but if it was smaller or bigger then that then it works out.

Post up here or send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys....I've been on the road and have had hardly any time to think about this till today. I'm still very interested but I have to call the river office and see how much they will work with me on this ever evolving list of people who may or may not want to come along.

As it stands most of the people who want to go would prefer a longer 5 day trip rather then just a weekend trip. I have two guys who have all the gear we need like Groovers and Fire Pans, so it seems that is covered.

I'm gonna call the River Office in the morning tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what they say.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So....the River Office is closed till the 19th and they said to call the main visitor office, which I did. I talked to a nice lady there who couldn't help me but said she would forward the message to the right people and they would get back to me soon. I'm hoping the answer is favorable.

I've had some people ask if they can bring Kayaks and if there will be room for the gear on a boat. If the current group of people who have shown interest go, then the answer will definitely be yes. My boat will have room for at least 6-12 personal dry bags plus food storage for that many too and I have two other guys with large rafts showing interest as well.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...just got a call back from someone at Dinosaur who was of limited help and said I need to wait till next Monday to get the answers I need.

Essentially, since this was relatively last minute and I didn't have anyone on the trip when I initially called, I was waiting to put the info in. It appears the deadline was October 5th, but when I asked about that when I called in at first he said he didn't need a hard list at that time.

I'm still very interested in going, but I'm not sure if I actually have a valid permit at this time and it appears I won't be able to find out before Monday the 19th. I think if I can get a solid list of people who are willing and able to go, then that might be helpful in locking it down. If I've gotten a PM or email from you then I'll contact you seperately, but if you haven't contacted me that way and want to go you should definitely do so by Sunday.

Current plan is to put on Friday morning and take off on either Monday or Tuesday, but most likely Tuesday. That will make for nice leisurely days where we can take off before 3pm and get the camp ready before dark.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...I've been looking at trip reports and seeing how long it takes to go between camps and such, I think making the trip a 4 night/5 day trip is the best bet. It is the week after the Daylight Savings time change, so it will be getting dark pretty early (like 5 o'clock or so). I'd prefer not to be on the river past dark, and its always nice to have time to get settled before dark too.

Tentative thoughts for campsites are Pot Creek on Friday, Limestone on Saturday, Jones Hole on Sunday, Big Island on Monday and take off on Tuesday. I realize this might exclude people who can only make a 4 day trip, but for these late season trips it seems to be the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is the week after the Daylight Savings time change, so it will be getting dark pretty early (like 5 o'clock or so). I'd prefer not to be on the river past dark, and its always nice to have time to get settled before dark too.
Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. There will still be the same amount of daylight. If you are worried about a time schedule then change your watches forward for the duration of the trip.:D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. There will still be the same amount of daylight. If you are worried about a time schedule then change your watches forward for the duration of the trip.:D
Fair enough. I'm just saying the days are getting shorter and that it will be getting dark early, so it'll be nice to have shorter days on the river so we get off the river before dark. I'll admit it didn't even occur to me that time would arbitrary on the river...too much time in the "default" world (as Burners say) I guess.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fair enough. I'm just saying the days are getting shorter and that it will be getting dark early, so it'll be nice to have shorter days on the river so we get off the river before dark. I'll admit it didn't even occur to me that time would arbitrary on the river...too much time in the "default" world (as Burners say) I guess.
I know what you mean. I just had to give you a hard time about it. ;)
I took a group from Norway on a grand trip in late Sept. one year. They are used to 4 hours of daylight each day during the winter. I liked to get the kitchen setup at least before it got dark. But they had no problem staying up for 3 hours after dark and waking up before it got light.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You will have plenty of time, the trip is 44 miles. You will as always on Lodore have a great trip. If it works out, make the shorter river mile days after the Yampa dumps in. Not to rush you through Lodore, but to have extra time if the W comes up in the wider open canyons. You will be able to camp where you like in the off season. Makes it nice to take each day and decide where the next camp works best. Have fun and please post a trip report!!!!
Be safe out there....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info...bummer you can't come. I guess i can talk to the rest of the guys and see if they are willing to take off Monday...I think I might have more success getting non-rafting friends to come along that way too. We'll see though, my gut feeling says do it in 5 days.

So...as of now the list of people going and the boats they are taking are as follows:

- Me (Josh) in my 16' Avon Pro with lots of cargo capacity and a large cooler and some rocket boxes. Currently no passengers but I'm trying to talk a few friends into joining.

- Kevin P. in an unknown raft but has pretty much everything we need like Groover, FirePan, Stove and such. He hasn't mentioned any passengers so I'll assume he is going Solo.

-Brian B. in an unknown raft but also has much of the group gear needed. Also Solo as far as I know.

- Taylor M. in a 10.5" Raft that he'll be doing R2 with a buddy. Has some gear, not sure what but I think we are covered between Kevin and Brian.

- Tom J. in a kayak. Not 100% but he was showing interest. First time multi-day guy but seems enthusiastic. He'll need to stow his gear on someones boat and might ride along down Hell's Half Mile if he doesn't feel up to it in a kayak.

So all in all that is 5 that are pretty much signed up and another that might come. 10 people would be awesome I think, so if anyone is interested let me know. I know I have room for at least 2 passengers on my rig and I'll ask about Kevin and Brian taking passengers if that comes up.

I'll probably ask for $20 a head to cover the permit, plus whatever food costs split evenly. I don't plan any super fancy dinners or anything, so I imagine it will be like $40-60 per person AT MOST (probably less). Bring your own beer and liquor and green products (in moderation for all three please). You'll be responsible for getting there and the park entry fee. We'll also have to figure out shuttle of some sort too, whether that is drive it ourselves or paying for a shuttle service to drive it for us.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good News....looks like we are good to go if I can get the paperwork in within a day. Luckily I have it all filled out, so I can just send it in. He said he normally would have canceled it, but since there are only 3 trips going out the entire month of November that its not a big deal. So, we are definitely on.

It would still be awesome to have a few more people come along, so post up if you are interested.

Josh

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the permit paperwork yesterday, so we are good to go. I have a definite list of people going but there is still room for more if anyone else is interested. I need a final list of people by thursday so I can submit the form on Friday morning.

The only other thing we have to worry about is food planning. I'm fine with making it up myself, but if the people going have any input then let me know.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As my first multi-day in close to a decade and only my second time as a trip leader, I can say that I was very pleased with how this went and I had an awesome time. Thanks a bunch to Kevin, Brian, Taylor and Jason for coming along, bringing all the group gear you did, and having a great attitude.

It was definitely on the cold side for this trip. We had snow the first day, culminating in corn flake sized snow flakes starting just as we came into Disaster Falls. This made it a bit more interesting, but it was kind of cool too. We all got through it just fine and we got to Pot Creek in about 3.5 hours. As with most of the campsites we stayed at, It's a great campsite and has lots of grassy spots to put a tent down. There was definitely a lack of sun, but that is kind of normal for Lodore since its largely North/South oriented.

We started our day at about 11:30 since the whole idea was to do short days. You could easily do this in 3 days (even 2 if you pushed), but with it being a 4 night, 5 day trip its we only had to go about 7-9 miles each day. This meant we could leave at noon and still reliably get to camp around 3pm. The next three days there was hardly a cloud in the sky. This made for a couple of cold nights but it was really nice during the day, especially when we found some sun. There was also a meteor shower going on, which made for some good star gazing at night.

Day 2 was Triplett and Hells Half Mile. I decided I wanted to scout Triplett, which made for a very straight forward run. I was very happy with my line and everyone else seemed to be happy too. The whole stretch from Triplett through to Hell's was in the shade, which made for some shivers, but I think we managed to stay mostly warm. We scouted Hell's next and waffled on which line we wanted to take. 3 out of 5 of us had not run this trip in over 15 years, but Taylor and Jason had good input on where the river pushes you.

I lead down the rapid and had an "interesting" time at it. I was well lined up, but started my ferry just a little bit too early and the small submerged rock in the eddy below the large rock at the top caught my stern and shot me straight toward Lucifer. I still managed to get myself back into a position to do a river right ferry, but it was already too late. I hit Lucifer sideways and the front 2/3 of my boat went over it, luckily with surprisingly little consequence. Both my oars popped off their pins, but it was quick work to get them back in and avoid the rocks at the bottom. I'd love to say that I meant to do it that way and that I was just going for a "stability" test of my new to me boat, but I'd be lying. From there we did a few more class II rapids and made it to Limestone camp with plenty of daylight left.

The next two days were pretty uneventful. We stayed at Jones Hole 1 the next night. Echo park was a welcome respite from the shade. We decided to stop there and go check out the Whispering Cave and the unique Petroglyphs a little ways up the road from the boat ramp. Once back on the river it was a little bit sucky with upstream wind into Whirlpool Canyon, but not too bad. Again, we made it there with lots of daylight left which left enough time for Taylor and Jason to try their luck at fishing in Jones Hole Creek.

Day 4 was our shortest day on the river, with it only taking an hour and a half to get to the next campsite. We stayed at Island Park, which was sandy but had the most sun of any of the campsites since it was out in the middle of Rainbow Park. The sandy varied terrain made for an enjoyable game of Bocce Ball that felt more like disc golf with bocce balls at times. Brian was ahead for most of the game, but Taylor came in with a surge for a surprise upset win. Some more hanging out in the sun and then another great dinner around a campfire under the stars before an early bedtime.

The nice weather of the day before turned to overcast and eventually into some rain as we slept. The whole last day was kind of overcast, but the cloud cover at least afforded us some warmer temperatures. We got an early start around 9am so that we could get off the river and drive home at a reasonable hour. The paddle through the rest of Rainbow Park wasn't bad and there are some fun, if IMHO incorrectly rated, rapids in Split Mountain Canyon. We got to the take out around 12:30 or so, and packed up and headed home. I believe Bryan and Kevin stayed in Vernal before heading home, but I just pushed through and got back to Denver around 7:15pm.

Hopefully that wasn't too long winded. I'll post some pictures and hopefully the others will too. I definitely had a feeling of "Coming Home" during this whole trip, and I have defintely re-caught the rafting multi-day bug again. I'm looking forward to spring and getting back on the river again for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts