Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 wks of vacation in july and august. does anyone have a suggestion on how to find a last minute float down the grand canyon? I know....crazy but it can't hurt to ask. for the right situation I might purchase the rig. i'm looking for a mature crowd.

thanks for your help
connie

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Connie,

To help your chances, you should also post some info about your river running experience, what group gear you can provide and so forth. Also if you post on the Grand Canyon Private Boaters email list that'll get you in contact with others planning their trips that may have an opening.

I just did a search on "Grand Canyon" and found this post of a July 28 trip looking for boaters that may be just what you're looking for.

Good luck finding a trip!

-AH

MODERATOR NOTICE - There will be zero tolerance for anyone that treats the OP disrespectfully.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
june 28 - aug 8

june 28- aug8 is my window. I don't have any experience on whitewater but I have a lot of experience on and in the water. I have 2 kayaks and 2yrs ago I went to montanita Ecuador for a month to learn to surf. as far as equipment goes...i'd have 25 days or so to gather what's needed...whatever that might be. I can do a lot in one day on the internets. i'm 57, in pretty good shape and I love adventure off the beaten path. I've looked through every thread here and appreciate everyone's photos (fuel the fire) and posts (even paddle rafting sucks). I love water and think rafting and fishing would be a great way to spend my vacation.

thank you for the quick reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Dutchman, I've considered that. just thought I'd throw it out there in the universe. i'd rather buy equipment and have it. I can't imagine what 30 days would cost in the commercial realm.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Connie, below is the link for the GC regulations.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Noncommercial_River_Trip_Regulations.pdf

Max trip length is 16 days in the summer. Plus a few more days past diamond creek takeout. It is a lot of work. I would think $3000 for a commercial motor trip is less expensive than buying your own rig, transporting it there, and pitching in for group/food expenses ($600-2,000 varies). The canyon is tough country and real class 4 whitewater with class 5/6 consequences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got 1 yr till retirement, I guess i'll wait. I want more than 16 days in the canyon. thanks again Dutchman.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi Connie,

FYI, sixteen days is the max in the summer, to Diamond Creek. Earlier and later in the year, longer trips are permitted, but for the time frame you're shooting at, sixteen is it. Consider though, that if you go to Pearce Ferry, several more days can be added, even in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
984 Posts
Try contacting a commercial river runner
The difference between a commercial and a private trip is like night and day. It appears the OP understands that. Can't blame her for this approach, and I would wager she finds a spot.

But the most important consideration on a trip like this is the group dynamic, so remember you are interviewing them as well to make sure you have a good fit with the group.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
William k
that's a great idea. in fact i'm leaning towards buying a raft (cataraft) and traveling somewhere to get onto a river for a month or so. i'll do day, multiday trips to become familiar with rafting equipment and when I become proficient i'll take her down myself.

thanks rich p

do step I don't know what an op is but you are right, I am NOT a commercial person.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Connie,

If you don't get on a GC trip, Colorado is looking the best for snowpack and flows this summer.
We will have flows on most of our rivers thru July.
Everything here is day trips by July, but if you want to learn, it is easier with a lightly loaded boat.
Easy to meet people to boat with and incredible scenery!

The Main Salmon (Idaho) is possibility for a multiday (6-8 days) trip which would be a good trip to learn on and should be much easier to get a spot than a GC trip.

All the GC trips over 16 days are in the Spring, Fall and Winter, so retirement will be a good thing.

Good Luck!

op = original poster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks rich

Colorado is closer for me. can you tell me where I should set up my base camp for this venture.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
thanks rich

Colorado is closer for me. can you tell me where I should set up my base camp for this venture.
Best boating in Colorado in July will be the Arkansas.
100 miles of boating from North of Buena Vista to Cannon City.
Everything from Class II thru Class IV+. By July, peak flows will be over
and everything will be running at very sane levels.

Both Buena Vista and Salida are great towns with camping, lodging and boating companies.
Either would be good to meet other catboaters.
My favorite is BV, great selection of day runs from beginner to expert.

The Arkansas Valley is one of the prettiest places in Colorado with
snow capped 14,000 ft peaks, whitewater, biking, hiking and a few excellent brew pubs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts