Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to decide on whether to go the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. I figure its hard to say yet, but what are some good websites to gain insight on snowpack up there?

We are trying to run: Tatlow, Rogers, Birk, Cal/Cheak, Stein/NF, Mine Run, Box Canyon, Clendenning, Skookum, etc.

Anyone know in a typical year when these go and in what order?

Just looking for as much info as possible so we can best plan the trip.

Kirk

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
We are trying to decide on whether to go the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. I figure its hard to say yet, but what are some good websites to gain insight on snowpack up there?

We are trying to run: Tatlow, Rogers, Birk, Cal/Cheak, Stein/NF, Mine Run, Box Canyon, Clendenning, Skookum, etc.

Anyone know in a typical year when these go and in what order?

Just looking for as much info as possible so we can best plan the trip.

Kirk
Skookum is much earlier than the rest - maybe July.

Snow seems pretty big this year, so later is better for most of what you listed.

Callaghan generally goes earlier than the others, Cheak runs all the time but is nice at higher flows (like 2.6 - 3 meters). Rogers and Birk will come in next, then Tatlow and Mine Run (if it's still there). Box Canyon probably will not come in in August this year, more like Sep. or Oct.

For the multi-days, Stein is earlier (like first half of August this year probably). Don't know Clendenning.

All of this is subject to change due to when it warms up and how warm it gets. A week of 100+ degree temps in July (not uncommon) can move everything up a week or two.

Leland

1 - 2 of 2 Posts