Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launching June 9th, 2 boats-1 boatman with experience, never on the Green, and the other a novice. Looking to hire someone with guide experience to help make this a safe trip. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You won't need a guide on Deso if you have a boater with experience and a river map. Ask the ranger what to scout and you guys should be fine. When you say experience, what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A guide to run Deso? Whatever happened to adventure style river running? Even for an intermediate boater, this should be something to challenge oneself a little bit?

Pull over and scout when in doubt, wtf.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A guide to run Deso? Whatever happened to adventure style river running? Even for an intermediate boater, this should be something to challenge oneself a little bit?

Pull over and scout when in doubt, wtf.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
That's what I needed to hear. Took a Swiftwater rescue course this week and the instructors there were questioning me doing a trip there without anyone having done it before and having a novice boater.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You'll be fine. Also, hiring a guide makes you a not so private trip- not sure how much they care on deso, but generally speaking permitted rivers require cost sharing among the group, and noone can be making money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I was starting out so many years ago myself and a tight like minded group of boaters did all the classics :the Grand, main salmon, mf salmon, selway, desolations, the gates, and a whole bunch of rivers sprinkled throughout the rockies all w/out any "experienced boaters" and we became "experienced boaters". Like wild2htoriver so succinctly said....when in doubt pull over and scout. Get a river map and challenge yourself and have fun!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think there are a couple of rapids at that time of year and flows where a member with previous experience could be beneficial. You shouldn't need to hire a guide. With the competition for permits these days ask for folks to join your trip here. Do phone interviews, ask for references and find compatible companions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.