Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been down there since '95, at levels that were probably pretty high. I know Chicken Raper got rearranged in '97 and may be significantly harder. I've done a few searches and only come up with a few reports from that section.

Please add any current info or TRs you're willing to share to this thread.

Besides river info I am interested in the condition of the shuttle (shortcut) road and names or even #s of companies willing to run shuttle.

Thinking this may happen sooner than later. PM me f you are interested in a lower key, family style trip.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dave

I did it 2 years ago. I don't think that flash did much but push it to maybe class IV. It was like 1200 when I ran it. I had friends run from Bradfield thru Cataract 3-5 yrs ago when the San Juans had that big snow year.
They said that camping sucked at high water. I'd be thinking about stateline and missing the irrigation weir. Joe Brown Canyon road was excellent for the shuttle. There was a couple of old boys who had a note up at the post office who were running shuttles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chicken Raper?!

So how is the Gateway section @ these levels? Muddy camps? Any news on road conditions? Trying to motorvate folks in Dgo area now to go do sections starting this week, rafts & paddlers too, maybe upper runs if not too bony. How's fishin' there?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Went down the Lower Delores last year at +/- 1000cfs. Only the first part with snaggletooth on a 2 day though. Old snag was a SOLID III+, he he...the rest was done after much libation and I can't really remember seeing white bubbles anywhere...I am in Durango and could be able to go on a whim so...post the trip for sure! Should run from 4/1 through 5/31 so plenty of time to get it done!

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody done a Gateway run this year? Still looking for a TR.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody done a Gateway run this year? Still looking for a TR.

Thanks
Dave,

I have never done this section, but we are going down May 3 and 4 (put-in late friday)...could be 5,000. I'll tell you what I find out if you don't beat me to it. Anyone with high water beta? Anyone else going down that weekend?

BH

·
Registered
587 Posts
Scout Stateline from river right

and don't go into the irrigation weir!

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main thing I have found out is that the shortcut is still snowed in, so the shuttle is 3 hrs one way. The one company I've found that even runs this shuttle charges $220 AND they use 2 of your cars to shuttle one of them, and then put the first one back at the top.

The Snaggletooth run seems to make a lot more sense right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Try this # 970-677-2301. They quoted me $125 for their van. $75 per car, so $200 for 1, $275 for 2, $350. . . etc. They seemed willing to split the Van charge if they had more than one group a day. I could be off on the exact #'s. This was a shuttle from slickrock all the way to gateway.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip. That company is the one I talked to. The Gateway run starts at gateway, and the 30 river miles involve a 3 hour one way shuttle, so that is why they charge so much. Also they are from Dove creek, which is another 2-3 hours from where they even go to start the shuttle. I understand why they need to charge so much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Plan-O

I'd be interested in this trip if you'd like a couple extra people. We'd be pretty low key with a raft, kayak, some good kitchen, groover gear, and a dog that will drop a raquet ball next to your feet for 4 hours straight then pass out. I'm all about paying for the shuttle.

Would prefer to go when the water is coming down and some folks who've done this in the last decade.

Hit me up on PM if this will work. I'll need a couple weeks notice to get time off from these nazi's i work with.

Ryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Upper Dolores (up river of the town

The Dolores from the West Fork into town is at 1500 cfs at the moment, so not bony. Pretty slity though, so fishing might be not so good. Get a Salmon Ceaser and a stout at the Dolores River Brewery instead!

Watch out for the suspension bridge a bit down river from Stapleton Bridge, and just past the green yurt structure on river right (located about half way between the West Fork and town of Dolores). Go river right...if the river is high enough that damn suspension bridge is pretty damn low.

maybe upper runs if not too bony. How's fishin' there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got back from the charred remains of the Dewey Bridge. Here's my info on Gateway to Dewey (~2,500cfs)

Put on the water at the Gateway bridge Friday evening around 6:30 with the plan of camping at one of the island camps before stateline (miles 4 and 5 of the trip in the guide book). When we got to the diversion dam rapid it was nearing dusk (bad timing), and I missed the opportunity to scout. I would suggest a scout of this rapid if you have time, if not, run far left as the middle and right sides are carnage (don't underestimate this one, it has the potential to really mess you up if you run center or right). Since dark was quickly upon us, we made an impromptu camp under a cottonwood on river right a couple hundreds yards downstream of the rapid.

Saturday, stopped to scout stateline. Checked out the left side first. Very tight with many pour-overs and wrap rocks. No strainers, but you don't want to run left if at all possible. We ferried over and checked out the preferred right run. The run was pretty straightforward at this level. Entered in the right channel and split a couple pour-overs just to the left of the gravel bar. Continued this line straight into a small hole and punched through to the slack water on river right. Ferried right and entered the right channel (split two large rocks) around the lower island. There is a pretty decent hole directly in the middle of the channel that you need to square up to or skirt just to the left. Rest of the run is cake. High water could be pretty rough.

It is worth noting that there was apparently an ATV convention or a family reunion on the west side of the river. four-wheelers up and down the road all day.

Anyway, continued on to Beaver Creek which we scouted in two different sections, upper and lower. Upper section is easy, just avoid the right side as the wave train (which is tempting) leads into a couple rocks that could be problematic. The lower section is a bit tougher. House sized boulders and large rocks constrict flow into very narrow runs that require some fairly quick moves. At higher flows this one could be tough, with wraps a very real possibility. The camp above the rapids is decent, but the road runs behind it and there was a lot of ATV traffic as already noted. A few miles below Beaver Creek the road ends and the canyon narrows. We continued down to about trip mile 17 and camped river right (the camp that the guide book calls a "Grand Canyon Class Hike"). Nice little camp with early shade and a fair amount of sand. The hike is very nice.

Sunday, we rowed the final 16 miles of the trip (not much to note).

There were few "established" camps that I noticed, with those already mentioned being the best. That said, there were many potential sites that would work just fine in a pinch. After Beaver Creek we didn't see another person until we hit Robert's bottom near the confluence.

I hope this info helps anybody planning a trip down that way (info seems to be kind of hard to come by). Happy boating.

BH

P.S. since we live in Junction, we ran a truck to Dewey Thursday and had a friend drop us off on friday. This eliminated the long shuttle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on this section. I plan to run it as part of a longer trip later this month.
Do you know (estimate) how fast (mph) you were moving on the river?
What would the rowing work be like if I tried to get through it over 2 days?
I like to spend a fair amount of my time rowing, but I like the late afternoon fun as well....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on this section. I plan to run it as part of a longer trip later this month.
Do you know (estimate) how fast (mph) you were moving on the river?
What would the rowing work be like if I tried to get through it over 2 days?
I like to spend a fair amount of my time rowing, but I like the late afternoon fun as well....
The river is cookin. It took us exactly 5 hours to run the final 16 miles, with a 30 to 40 minute lunch stop, so I'd say we averaged close to 4 mph with light rowing...should easily be able to make it in two days (depending on how much and how long you scout and no mishaps of course). Take care.

BH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts