Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worthington 299889 10-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder

Like many of you I got screwed on the fiberglass light weight propane tank.

Found the aluminum model above. Have not been able to find the empty and filled weight of this tank.

Any one who has this tank and willing to share their experience is appreciated.

Would like to have less weight, but doing due diligence research before spending the money.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Worthington 299889 10-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder w/ Type 1 w/ Overflow Prevention Device Valve

Whether you need to heat, power or grill, Worthington Cylinders specializes in making propane tanks and cylinders used daily across the globe. You'll find the quality of our customer service equals that of the propane tanks we deliver. Like all of our products, each propane tank and cylinder meets or exceeds industry regulations for quality and is manufactured in facilities that have won awards for proactive safety practices and regulations. Made of either aluminum or steel, Worthington Cylinders offers a complete line of portable propane cylinders.

Dimensions: 10.3″ x 10.3″ x 15.9″. Weight: 10.45lbs.

i would guess that it would weigh about 20 lbs. when full. looks good and about $130 at amazon. i have seen one but only in passing at a put-in.

bob

·
Registered
975 Posts
So - hijacking the thread....looks like the only composite tanks now available (after the lite recall) is the Ragasco. What options are out there?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the Regasco units but found a lot of chatter on msg boards that the ones sold by Amazon are re certified. Not sure exactly what that means but if I pay the big bucks want a current new manufactured unit.

oarboatman, your photo is not showing up on my screen, may be my browser tho.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oarboatman,

I like the looks of that propane bag.

Do you know if they make the bags for both ten and twenty pound propane tanks.

I am rethinking that aluminum tank as opposed to a steel one with the padded bag.

I do canoe camping in the MO ozark streams and the bag would keep the inside of my canoe free of big scratches from steel propane tanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cool!! I found this, Its the American distributor for Ragasco. They now have an 11# composite tank. I'm not worried about it flailing in the future. It is a totally different manufacturing process than those 2 piece lite tanks. DOT standards are pretty strict I am surprised the 2 piece glued or whatever they are were ever allowed. Always nice to see how much propane is in the tank. EDIT--- (I found out they actually are on a special DOT permit and dont have to pass the same tests as steel)

11-pound vapor | vikingcylinders.com

·
Registered
975 Posts
Okieboater - I think the one you are talking about is the one through tikitorchworld:

Composite Propane Tank - 17lb - Tiki Torch World

They're having a ripping deal on them for $70. They are recertified only because of date of mfg, not because of use. And it looks like they're offering a volume discount.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I have the 11 pound Ragasco and love it. Seems pretty sturdy. Used conservatively it lasted 9 days this fall on a small trip 6-8. We did grill several times and used wood for dishwashing. Do to a water filter issue we ended up boiling water for the last three days on the stove. I really, really liked being able to see the fuel to know when we had to ration a bit. I have the bigger one as well but haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, that is the one if memory correct

Any idea how long they can be used?

Not a expert on propane but seems like tanks can only be used for a certain period of time even being re-certified.

I had one tank turned down at a refill station as the attendant told me it was too old for him to recertify.

Then my fiberglass tank was recalled.

So that is the reason for all my questions. I am looking for a new propane tank.

Okieboater - I think the one you are talking about is the one through tikitorchworld:

Composite Propane Tank - 17lb - Tiki Torch World

They're having a ripping deal on them for $70. They are recertified only because of date of mfg, not because of use. And it looks like they're offering a volume discount.

·
Registered
49 Posts
composites have to be re-certified every 5 years up to 15 years. Steel every 12 years, dont know of a limit. Don't have a clue about aluminum. Guess there is the who certifies composite issue.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So, these tanks will only be good for 15 years from DoM? Which is 2021 or 7 more years?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have two and love em'. No problems ever. Pricey but I bought one used and the other on some sort of closeout. I'm a huge fan. Forget about denting - - they're not thin. I've never used any sort of padding and just load them in truck with all the other hard gear just like a steel tank. No problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
PS I've had all of mine re-certified at least twice. It's every 5 years. Ferrellgas does it for a few bucks. They just visually inspect and put a new sticker on. I don't know about an age limit. Never heard that one before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK so here is all the time I wasted today in a summary. Steel and aluminum tanks must be re-certified 12 years after date of manufacture. Re-certification lasts 5 years unless it is pressure tested and then can be re-certified for another 12 years. They have no maximum service life as long as they pass inspection. Aluminum tanks have been built 40+ years.

Due to US Department of Transportation law, composite tanks have a 15 year service life from the date of manufacture. They have to be visually re-certified every 5 years no option pressure test. So now after doing some homework aluminum seems to be the way to go for a one time purchase. I’m getting tired of my ammo cans and propane cylinder bleeding rust stains on my floor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts