Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i scored a dutch oven under the tree this year, now i need to collect some recipes to experiment with. so if you have any good and fairly easy recipes please share. if you don't want to post you can email them to bledoux at email.com

thanks,
brian

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
here's a good one:

1. eat hot wings smothered in blue cheese and lots of beer.
2. get in bed
3. let 'er RIP
4. pull covers over partners head
5. yell "DUTCH OVEN"

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Start with a corn bread mix, add chili peppers stuffed with cream cheese. Grease oven thoroughly, Poor in some mix, add peppers and poor in remaining mix to cover peppers. Bake to perfection.

This is a friend of mines recipe that works well, on the river. He stuffs the peppers at home, before the trip. The left overs are great for breakfest on a hangover. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the ideas (unfortunately pprr.org is down, and strive describes what i know as a covered-wagon not a dutch oven, but you get an e for effort anyways). i think i've found enough to keep me busy for a while, but still looking for an oriental/stir-fry recipe.

brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
huh?

interesting.... i grew up in holland, but i have no idea what a dutch oven even is... could somebody please enlighten me?

cheers :D
Jeroen

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts
Brian - Try the PPRR site again, it just worked for me (click on the words in my post). It's the International DO Society site that now seems to be flaking out.

Dan - That sounds like a great recipe! I've had the stuffed peppers grilled on a fire before but will have to try the cornbread recipe sometime or... you're invited on the next Westy trip if you'll prepare it!

Don - great site and some good recipes!

Jeroen - be patient with Americans' penchant for things named after other nationalities or places - there's nothing so appealing as something purported to be from somewhere far away. They were probably called "New Jersey ovens" originally and had slow sales until the salesman decided to call them "Dutch ovens."

Strive - Are you sure you're not confusing a DO recipe with the infamous "Auschwitz oven?"

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sounds good Andy H. If I can break away from work, I'll make it for ya'll. If not, I'll send Wayn-o. After all, it's his recipe. :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dutch Oven lovin !

Dutch Oven cooking is a fine art, and a skill that takes practice for sure. Cooking with the correct number of coals requires knowing the size of the DO and the meal you are cooking. The real bonus is the good flavoring that DOs can impart to whatever is being cooked. I have heard formulas for folks about the correct number of coals required to cook a certain meal in a dutch, but IMHO, its all black magic. Practice gets the puddin! And NEVER EVER let somebody else wash your dutch. No soap. Clean it by cooking correctly, and seasoning with salt and oil.
My top favorite DO meal is a grits and eggs casserole: Corn Meal Grits, eggs, chilis, cheese, jalepenos, diced onions and garlic.
Cornbread with cheese and jalepenos is also a winner.
For dinner: chicken breasts, onions, catalina dressing rice and water (super yum)

Truly, Dutch Oven cooking is fast becoming a lost art. If you want to succeed, you need practice and patience and high quality briquettes. Chef it up and fire one up. A glazed cook makes a great meal!
:idea:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts