Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new in the creek boating world of kayaking. Id really like to find an easy boat to paddle to start me off. Ive been paddling a jackson fun for the past couple seasons and id like to expand the type of rivers I can hit. So any suggestions for an easy to paddle creek/river runnerunning boat would be greatly appreciated.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
The Dagger Mamba creeker would be a good choice as well as the Liquid Logic Remix

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi, Im new in the creek boating world of kayaking. Id really like to find an easy boat to paddle to start me off. Ive been paddling a jackson fun for the past couple seasons and id like to expand the type of rivers I can hit. So any suggestions for an easy to paddle creek/river runnerunning boat would be greatly appreciated.
The Jackson Karma is the boat to own. Better than a Mamba. The Karma S is most ideal for a person in the 110-140 lb weight range, but even up to 155 lbs. The Karma M should be best suited for 170-200.

Call Tony at 4 Corners River Sports. They have a sale going on now and may even deliver boats up north this weekend,

Cheers!
Ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
I second the burn, raised edges make it very forgiving, and it punches holes and rides over big waves like nothing. Never paddled a Karma but I also hear great things about them. Really can't go wrong with any of the boats mentioned so far on this thread. Best bet would be to go out and demo the boats you are interested in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm gonna chime in and say burn as well, but recommend the burn 3. I've always been a creeker and really enjoy mine. The burn 2 is a lil too " fun runner " for me I like the added length and volume of the 3. Bart at golden river sports in golden can get you hooked up ! Mamba,karma, and remix also good choices.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
The last boat I saw someone paddle and say they didn't like was the rocker. No one is selling bad boats. Just more/less ideal boats for paddlers and run combinations. Even then a paddler may do well to paddle the most challenging boat for their style to improve on weak areas.

Without more info on what runs you have paddled, what runs you want to paddle and what you think the shortcomings of your current boat are it would be hard to point you towards anything. Warranty, outfitting and final price will likely play a factor.

All of these are modern designs with a lot of people who love them:

Burn (II or III)
Mamba (new)
Recon
Older designs people still love:
Nomad
Remix

That isn't a complete list. People say demo but if you haven't spent any time in a creek boat they will all feel hard to turn, heavy and fast. It's amazing the people who will swear by a product only to find out they haven't paddled any of the other boats around or they have a hookup with the company.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Remix might be the one to have a good look at, as well as the Diesel.

Recon and Karma are great boats, but they are really out and out creekers. Even the medium Karma is absolutely massive.

Remix and Diesel will offer fun on lower grades as well as being able to push things. Evan Garcia uses a Remix pretty much exclusively, and look at the type of rivers and drops he paddles!

There's also the new version of the Jackson Zen. Not sure if you can buy it yet. They have given it a bit more volume and rocker to make it more creekable, but it'll still be fun on lower grades.

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
You might want to look at planing hull boats. The crossover between your play boat would be easier, although I don't find it much more difficult when going to a displacement hull.

I also like a thinner profile bow so that the bow doesn't get blown downstream peeling out or trying to hold an upstream ferry. Eg. diesel, although it does have stern edges which can get tripped up in turbulence. I had an H3 that had a flat side on the bow that I didn't like and sold. That being said, any bigger volume boat is going to have more volume, and have a longer bow and be something to get used to.

If you get to where you want to do BIG drops, you can always add a displacement hull boat to avoid flat landings. Have fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know that fluid has a sale going on right now and you can get some really good deals. My son just got a bazooka s and he's loving it so far! Just thought I would throw that out there because at just under $600 that's a hard deal to beat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agreed

I know that fluid has a sale going on right now and you can get some really good deals. My son just got a bazooka s and he's loving it so far! Just thought I would throw that out there because at just under $600 that's a hard deal to beat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I agree. I just got a Bazooka S and I love it. I came from a Jackson Zen (planning hull) and a Jackson Star and it is not that hard of a transition and it has tons of volume if you are stepping it to creeking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts