Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think I've seen this movie. The "guide" mysteriously drops out, the two newbs remaining need to get through the bad rapids. Some poor soul with experience is "recruited." Doesn't end well for the newbs.
But think of the amazing story that can be told around the campfire…if they survive. “I went rafting and almost drowned, froze, and eaten by a bear.” Epic!

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
That hole is a bitch. I've only ever waved hello, never formed any sort of meaningful relationship with her...
If ya don't think you have the guns to make the move behind the rock (especially tough at high water), the next best option is to give it some gusto, forward push and punch it right of center. 😎
I have heard stories about a sneak route on the far right next to the shore at flows over 6. I just don’t have the faith to attempt it. When I have waved goodbye after dropping by the rock on the left my thoughts were WOW. That is big.
The hit in Velvet is one of the best hits ever. I don't know about a far right 'sneak', the seam on the v wave gets a little weaker but almost impossible to hit as the creek dumps in just above the drop and pushes you hard to the center. I got to watch a couple of buddies R2 a 12 footer with gear thru the hole at 7 feet...twas awesome. I think one guy swam but no flip.

Also got to watch two cats with gear and a passenger each flip right in front of me at about 4 feet. It was a little distracting but a great view running sweep.

Pretty much anywhere but center left (which I have also run sideways with two passengers calling a highside on the way to the hit) if you are straight and with power and you can get thru. I also don't mean sitting back in your tractor seat pushing with your arms. Get your whole body moving forward and hit that shit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If trip goes; as someone said- stay to inside of corners. Left sneak at Velvet opens at 5.5-6 ft? High water some bigger rapids flood out but other "normal" runs tougher.Jack Creek a hoot at 5.5-6 ( great rollers)Chased a cat for 5 miles with ropes on it after a flip in Weber. Poster is correct about trusting your crew to care for self and others.Can be miserable if weather/wind gets bad.Need drysuit. Marsh can be another story. 4.5 to5.5 can be spicey also! Be safe !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some of these responses are quite snarky, and for good reason. What it boils down to is that this trip is not only a terrible idea, it’s downright selfish and dangerous. You (OP) are putting not only yourself in danger, but the other groups on the river at the same time as you, potential rescue crews, rangers, and anyone else involved in your almost certain rescue. The fact of the matter is that many of us have lost several close friends to this ‘hobby, sport, activity’ and understand the seriousness at hand. This isn’t a holiday on a Carnival Cruise Line. Flying in the face of the danger you are ignorantly placing yourself in is a slap in the face to those who have put in the time to ensure they are as prepared as possible to mitigate potential emergencies in order to place as few people as possible in danger. Cancell your damn trip so someone who knows what the hell they are doing can go have a great time without putting others at great risk.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ve been boating for 27 years have 1 middle fork trip at 6 ft and no way would I go solo boat. Or go for it lose all your stuff have to get evac’d and never go boating or apply for another permit again either suits me fine

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did MFS at lower water levels with one raft and really regretted it. No safety margin, and a lot of gear for one boat to haul. I had a pack rafter along, but that was not enough. With my skills, and kids I would not even consider anything in the 5' and over range. Its not negativity, its about safety. The Middle Fork has relentless, long runs with lots of maneuvering, and fast water and you get a major challenge. It is also extremely remote, so consequences of accidents are significant. To be honest lots of Buzzards UNDER RATE the danger for many rivers. If most are telling you this is a bad idea, it likely is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have flipped in Velvet at 6' trying to run the hard right line. I'm not sure why but our TL, asked a commercial guide at Boundary about the line at Velvet even though he and I both had 20 mfs trips and had never heard of the right line. We were told stay hard right and slip right by the wall for a easy run. Thinking back I wasn't sure I liked the plan but didn't want to call out the choice of the TL. The lead boat, 143 d, our TL, hit the line and looked easy. Second boat was a 16' cat w 2 passengers. They dropped clean but stalled and briefly surfed the bubble line. I in a 156r and loaded heavy was coming with speed and poor spacing. I suddenly realized how bad my spacing was as I was going to drop on top of the cat. So I made my second poor choice, I took 3 full body back strokes and kinda just plopped over the drop. We immediately sucked back in the pour over and flipped I think end for end! The swim was brief but violent. We had the boat up right in a few minutes but it took 4 of us to flip it while in the current. I learned a lot that day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have flipped in Velvet at 6' trying to run the hard right line. I'm not sure why but our TL, asked a commercial guide at Boundary about the line at Velvet even though he and I both had 20 mfs trips and had never heard of the right line. We were told stay hard right and slip right by the wall for a easy run. Thinking back I wasn't sure I liked the plan but didn't want to call out the choice of the TL. The lead boat, 143 d, our TL, hit the line and looked easy. Second boat was a 16' cat w 2 passengers. They dropped clean but stalled and briefly surfed the bubble line. I in a 156r and loaded heavy was coming with speed and poor spacing. I suddenly realized how bad my spacing was as I was going to drop on top of the cat. So I made my second poor choice, I took 3 full body back strokes and kinda just plopped over the drop. We immediately sucked back in the pour over and flipped I think end for end! The swim was brief but violent. We had the boat up right in a few minutes but it took 4 of us to flip it while in the current. I learned a lot that day.
We all tend to learn best from our mistakes. You will never forget that day. I trust few peoples guidance to run a rapid like this sight unseen and certainly not a stranger. I have heard of the right run but once you are committed there is no plan B. I prefer more conservative routes when I have a boat that is heavily loaded for a multi day trip. If you are on a day trip in a cat…then go fo it.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts