Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to the forum, apologies I've never posted on here before. Me and a friend have a lottery permit for the Middle Fork Salmon for early June, but our "guide" ended up having to bail. (By guide I mean the one guy we know that has whitewater experience). So basically now it's just me and a friend and neither one of us has much whitewater rafting experience.

Anyone want to join up with us!? Currently taking applications, feel free to send me a PM 馃槀 馃槄

Registered
HOLY COW! Un-experienced and just 1 boat - you might re-consider what you hope to undertake. Potential for a high water spike should be considered, safety gear/training and etc. Folk's here will be aprehensive to be involved with greenhorn's. Just say'n.
RE: FG to Release 8600. Guess I know somehting about boating with newbies

Registered
High water mfs is a big bite. River office recommends against anyone going on mfs when water is above something like 5.5 ft, and only highly experienced rafters should even consider it. Lots do and have a great time, but it鈥檚 not a trip for first timers in one boat. If I was your guide guy, I would also have bailed on that trip as it was organized so as to not die.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
This has got to be a troll. Anyone thinking of going on a trip with two people with such lack of judgement is an idiot....
馃え Thank you for the kind and welcoming intro to the whitewater rafting community, sir. I always figured you guys were a friendly and respectable bunch. Especially all the love I've been shown over the years while wade fishing.

Registered
馃え Thank you for the kind and welcoming intro to the whitewater rafting community, sir. I always figured you guys were a friendly and respectable bunch. Especially all the love I've been shown over the years while wade fishing.
Sorry figured you were trolling, people do that a lot here. But a high water trip is a whole different ballgame.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
HOLY COW! Un-experienced and just 1 boat - you might re-consider what you hope to undertake. Potential for a high water spike should be considered, safety gear/training and etc. Folk's here will be aprehensive to be involved with greenhorn's. Just say'n.
I appreciate the concern, we are apprehensive as well hence joining the forum and making this post :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
High water mfs is a big bite. River office recommends against anyone going on mfs when water is above something like 5.5 ft, and only highly experienced rafters should even consider it. Lots do and have a great time, but it鈥檚 not a trip for first timers in one boat. If I was your guide guy, I would also have bailed on that trip as it was organized so as to not die.
That's what I've heard, that anything over 5.5 ft is basically a no-go. And to be fair the guide bailed for work reasons, not out of concern or worry. He's an Alaskan whitewater guide and has floated the MF several times and said it would be fine as long as the flows were manageable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry figured you were trolling, people do that a lot here. But a high water trip is a whole different ballgame.
No worries. I understand it's a big risk, especially early season. We won't be able to go if we can't find a last minute guide/group, hence coming on here.

Registered
That's what I've heard, that anything over 5.5 ft is basically a no-go. And to be fair the guide bailed for work reasons, not out of concern or worry. He's an Alaskan whitewater guide and has floated the MF several times and said it would be fine as long as the flows were manageable.
Take a look at the hydrology prediction below. As of now, you're in the peak with your dates.

Super Moderator
I appreciate the concern, we are apprehensive as well hence joining the forum and making this post :)
You should be very apprehensive. A one-boat MFS trip is not a good idea at high water, not to mention that y'all are likely to be launching on Marsh Creek which has it's own set of hazards, and there's Dagger Falls. Just out of curiosity, when you were putting in for permits on Wreck.gov, after you'd put in for the Smith, did you just kept clicking when it offered you the option to put in for more permits on rivers that you'd heard about but have no idea of the character of those rivers, but just put in for those permits on the chance that there may be some good fishing?

Do you realize the fishing will probably suck because all the trout will be hunkered down waiting out the high water and that the trip you've won will likely be balls to the wall serious pucker factor, hope not to die, possible snow or rain, gigantic trees flushing down the river with you for every day of about 6 or 7 days? Do you realize that you've deprived people with the equipment and experience to undertake this river trip, that are raring to go even (or especially) above 5.5 feet, who may have been trying for years to get this highly coveted permit, of of being able to go because you didn't know what you were applying for?

Just curious.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 68 Posts