Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is almost the end of the season, and I'm still jonesin' to boat. I'm also extremely bored in college. I was just looking into changing colleges and was wondering if any buddy had recommendations on a good place to go with year round boating. I was thinking Oregon so i could go down to Cali and surf in the winter. And if I'm not mistaken i think that the winter is their creeking season i don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try North Carolina near Asheville, year round and warm for most of it. Anywhere in the SE is probably a good choice

·
Registered
790 Posts
For Western Schools where you can still ski and boat nearly year round, my top picks would be:
1. Humboldt State, Arcata, CA.
2. Oregon schools in Eugene, Ashland or Portland
3. Boise ID (plenty of colleges)
4. CA/NV schools in Sacramento or Reno

And yeah, of course the southeast (WV, NC or Washington DC).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Everyone out here in WV says virginia Tech. There is a play hole 15 min. away, the dries of the new 1.5 hrs away, and bottoms creek 15 min. away. I dk bout the play hole, and the bottoms creek, but the dries would be worth it a lone to me! I guess, Jimmy Blakeny, Luke Hopkins, Andrew Holcomb, and Briank Kirk also went there, and they have been telling me its where i need to go!

Cheers
Ben Guska

P.S. It rained over 2 Inches on the headwaters of the new.....Hoping the Dries will come in in a day or two :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm Sure you've heard of Morgantown, WV (WVU). It has harbored many future kayaking dead beats. Big Sandy and Dekers Creek between classes and the Upper Yough is only 45 min away so don't schedule late classes on Mondays and Fridays. Then of course you have the Blackwater and accomplices 2 hours away for weekend ventures and class skipping. The Gauly and New are about 2.5 to 3 hours away. More close creeking then play, but then again the Tygert and Cheet are in the back yard if your into that sort of thing. Don't plan on getting a good education because you'll always be boating. Go Mountaineers (I think).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts