Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newly minted rafter looking to join an experienced group on a pre-season main salmon trip. Recently ran the Colorado and rowed some of the moderate rapids and got hooked. I booked a permit for a launch on the 15th but am willing to go with an experienced group around that time frame. I have a 14' Avon and am beginning to outfit it . I am absolutely willing to carry the groover and pitch in as much as possible to learn more about rafting. Please 'let me know if you have a group I can join or if you are willing to be the TL on my permit.

Lee

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I can't help you with the trip, but I do recommend you connect with the WRRR (Washington Recreational River Runners) club, a group of rafters from the Seattle area. They are very welcoming, have lots of events, and do clinics and such things.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Definitely a good river to start on, though I might recommend in autumn (September) when the water is lower (and it's a really lovely time to go). Other than rowing some minor Grand rapids, and about half the Rogue (on a clinic), this was my first real trip (in that I had my own boat and rowed it the whole way). I was with two highly-experienced boatmen I knew from Grand trips. There were a handful of rapids that got me puckered, but very few places where I could have actually managed to flip (the one that comes to mind is a hole that forms, apparently only at some fairly specific flows, right in the tongue of Bailey - it would have been a flip almost certainly, but the TL got stuck trying to sneak the top, so we stopped.

Anyhow, I think the Main at high flows would have been pretty intimidating to me, but it also sounds like you might be a little more advanced than I was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help you with the trip, but I do recommend you connect with the WRRR (Washington Recreational River Runners) club, a group of rafters from the Seattle area. They are very welcoming, have lots of events, and do clinics and such things.
Thanks so much! I will check them out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Skagit,Sauk,lower skykomish,Wenatchee, snoqualmie, methow,tieton and more are all within a couple hrs of Seattle and are good class 3 runs. No need to drive to another state. Check out the wrr site or professor paddle.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would hesitate to recommend the Main early season as the first major run on the sticks especially with limited day trips under your belt. There are plenty of rapids that can flip a fully loaded rig in there at medium to high levels and the consequences are more pronounced with swift, cold water. The levels are forecast to drop starting in a few days but you are still looking at relatively high water.

Doing pick up trips can be a great way to meet folks but I would still recommend some more miles under your belt before doing them as multi-day Class III run. Its easy to pick up Main permits later in the year when water temps are warmer, flows are friendlier and you have more experience under your belt.

Thats my two cents but you may find someone who rightfully leads you in a different direction.

Phillip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts