Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The City of Longmont has restarted the design phase of the Pavlakis District Park Master Plan in downtown Longmont. The site has been identified to include a proposed whitewater park on the St. Vrain river. On Thursday February 21st a public meeting will be held to gather input for appropriate site amenities. If you have an interest in expanding the river amenities show up and make your voice heard. Here is more information: St Vrain Phase 11, Disposition of Open Space, PWNR, Longmont, Colorado

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems like there is only enough water in the Vrain through Longmont to support boating for about 2 months of each year.

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Related engineering issues were investigated and now are understood as to their impact on the project site"...all it says regarding the delay

Hopefully the RICD would allow for longer than a 2 month boating season...probably not this year tho

·
Registered
355 Posts
What should really happen is a rehabilitation of the park in Denver. Imagine a park like Reno, with cartwheeling and looping potential 12 months of the year in CO.

And why is it that the leading company behind WW parks in the US is based out of Boulder, but all the front range parks are so junky? If there was a decent park, I might even think about buying a playboat.

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
What should really happen is a rehabilitation of the park in Denver. Imagine a park like Reno, with cartwheeling and looping potential 12 months of the year in CO.

And why is it that the leading company behind WW parks in the US is based out of Boulder, but all the front range parks are so junky? If there was a decent park, I might even think about buying a playboat.

Agreed, but totally unrelated.

That's great that Longmont wants to do this.

Not sure where the RICD water would come from, but the St. Vrain trickles through there except at peak flow as well as bigger years.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

You'd really go play boating October through late march????
I want some of the drugs your on.
Seriously, this is a great potential for more whitewater options. Thanks for letting us know.
Will my voice really matter or will it boil down to the powers that be recognizing the potential financial impact to the community. They should take a lesson from Lyons and Golden (along with others) and take note of the financial gain. Not just through visitors but bringing in new residents.

I potentially could create a PP presentation if that would help. Or more realistically I could chat with someone that may live in schlongmont that could go and present a PP presentation.
Let me
Know

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I think there is a plan already to redo Confluence, something about a signature wave /feature on the left channel by REI.They are going to redesign the stretch by Gates that has a couple spots at higher flows.They already did work around 8 th to 13 th /Zuni some new drops that look lame but I 've not seen them with much water.Leigh Gulch has 3 pairs of drops with good access and semi new large parking picnic area.Littleton could make one of them or one pair into one good hole, just widen the fourth one.

The main problem with Front Range parks is no water.Union and the waves between Confluence and Coors Field are great with good flows, albeit skanky water.People used to like Golden but it seems to need tweaking.Boulder could be better the best spots are not in the playpark.Lyons is decent at good flows.Never done Pueblo doesn't 't seem to be praised or criticized much. Loveland could possibly make one.

Is the Longmont park below the confluences with Lefthand, Boulder, and So. Boulder?not that they carry much water either.All for more urban parks but without water it is semi pointless.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good to here about Confluence, it would seem to be in the best interests of Denver for an improvement. And I take back the comment on no good parks. The one by Dumont is pretty sweet when there is water.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Somebody should put in one of those recirculating concrete artificial WW parks like they have in S. Carolina and Maryland. Denver would be the perfect spot for one those because we have plenty of boaters but no water 10 months of the year. They built one of these in Deep Creek, MD in a place surounded by year round whitewater but we don't have on in CO? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
An Olympic quality training center would be nice, but I could probably count all the slalom boaters in CO on one hand. We are a special interest group as white water boaters, and it would probably be best not to draw that kind of attention to ourselves with the use of tax payer dollars. Besides, where would all the people in t-shirts go swimming during the summer?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Confluence Park Master Plan

Hola,

Confluence Park is indeed slated for a rebuild in the next couple of years.
there are lots of info and pics here:
Confluence Park

Here is a mockup:

This deisgn includes replacing the diversion dam structure on the river left side with a series of wave features that would only run at higher water, and improving and lengthening the low flow channel on the right.

There are many other projects on the drawing board for the urban river. Probably the most significant from a boaters perspective is the replacement of the large drop at Florida ave with a series of drop structures. For an overview of all the planning that has taken place check out these "vision Plans" The Greenway Foundation :: RVIP-South Platte Master Plan

Also just for reference, you can cartwheel in Confluence year round. even below 100cfs. You have to know how to work an eddy line and have a quick roll, but almost all of the drops give up a few different moves. Loops not so much...enjoy

Juan

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I should say that I have no idea what the status of the Confluence plan is.My friend and infrequent Buzz member Paddilyfluids. is an architect and attends meetings of urban planning /greenway foundation (?).These ideas get kicked around.Getting through all.the redtape and funding is a different story.Down at Confluence Kayaks they have a pamphlet with illustrations of the proposed faux canyon by Gates.I think the new drops by Zuni are the first phase of that project.I don 't think they are necessarily designed for boating, sure don 't look like it

Paddilyfluids is all about developing lower Clear Creek.There are a number of drops in an industrial corridor and Clear has the most reliable flows of all Front Range creeks.C L P if it is considered a 'Front Range ' river is another one that has had talk of a Fort Collins park for oh..ten years or so.

I 'm going on a trip next month and will.be checking out Dayton,Ohio, and Columbus, Georgia, playparks,both slated to open. "spring of 2013 " does anyone know the status of these projects.It looks like Columbus /Phenix City wad already pretty good.In researching got this trip I see that they are trying to build a whitewater park in NW Arkansas

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I guess we were writing at the same time Juan :D are they going to redo DeadDog /Waterworks?That drop is really fun at super high flows.

I think the proposed Nw Arkansas park is like the one in Maryland.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Fort Collins should have a park, yes. Also just throwing it out there I would also be willing to dive an extra 30 min toward chatfield to avoid getting hepatitis at confluence if the park was closer to the foothills. Meh not going to happen but it would be cool.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
-yeah Paul Liegh Gulch is only a couple miles south of Union but way cleaner .The C-470 put in drop could possibly be made into multiple drops like Jon said they are doing to Florida...the big glassy slow wave right below Chatfield dam could be constricted /funnelized....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Somebody should put in one of those recirculating concrete artificial WW parks like they have in S. Carolina and Maryland. Denver would be the perfect spot for one those because we have plenty of boaters but no water 10 months of the year. They built one of these in Deep Creek, MD in a place surounded by year round whitewater but we don't have on in CO? Doesn't make too much sense to me.
I saw one of these posted in another thread...great idea for Colorado (and Longmont)!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts