Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Surprised no one has mentioned the Powell trip, put in the Green below Flaming Gorge, run that, then Gates or Lodore, then go on through Deso, then Labyrinth/Stillwater, and on through Cataract Canyon.
Is there a time that you could do this trip permit free or with one or two.. It seems as though the permitting on all these would make this near impossible to link up.

·
Gary F
88 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Read anything worth doing.. It is about this trip among some speed record trips on the salmon. and not a typo. on their speed trip they launched at dark from deer creek below Challis and it was getting light as the passed corn i believe.. I'm not a big reader and i devoured this book. Anything Worth Doing: A True Story of Adventure, Friendship and Tragedy on the Last of the West's Great Rivers: Deurbrouck, Jo: 9780985257804: Amazon.com: Books
Down The Wild River North. Constance Helmrichs. The Peace, the Slave, and the McKenzie if I remember right. 2 years and 2000 miles with her daughters. It was up in Canada, but it kicked me off the bank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Surprised no one has mentioned the Powell trip, put in the Green below Flaming Gorge, run that, then Gates or Lodore, then go on through Deso, then Labyrinth/Stillwater, and on through Cataract Canyon.
That would be an epic run!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wife and I did that in 10/2017 on above normal flows via self-support kayak in 20 days with resupply at Vernal and Green River. As I recall we had to obtain 8 permits, which would be very difficult in today's permit environment. (full disclosure, we skipped Ladore because of a major snow storm that we weren't equipped for, but had done several times previously)

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Color me interested in the King Salmon trip!

One of the truly awesome river books as good or better than the emerald mile IMO.
I wanted it to be like a Salmon version of the Emerald Mile...but there really isn't a comparison.

The Emerald Mile is a WAY bigger, broader book. Fedarko really goes into the history and geopolitics of the Colorado, the Glen Canyon Dam, and the Bureau of Wreck. The characters are secondary to the place.
and Anything Worth Doing is a really intimate book. I'd argue that Douerbrock does an incredible job of relating a close friendship between two near-tragic but relatable characters set against some epic trips and their search to boat so much Idaho water.

I've read the former 3x and the latter twice. Both are in my permanent library. IMHO it does both books a disservice to compare them.

And Gary Lane's 'The Salmon River Chronicles: Reflections of a River Guide' is also a must-read for Salmon river boaters...as much as Conley and Carey's history book.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is there a time that you could do this trip permit free or with one or two.. It seems as though the permitting on all these would make this near impossible to link up.
You need a Deso permit and a Gates of Lodore permit, which will be the crux. Cataract permit is just given on request, and the rest is unpermitted. Lining up Deso and Lodore would be really hard, but maybe doable in October when Deso permits are easy to get.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I rafted Deso with a retired river ranger that worked out of the price office. He told me that if you have a Ladore in hand they will usually try and accommodate you for a thru trip on Deso/gray. May or may not be the case today. All you can do is ask.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Noatak river in Alaska is just under 500 miles of true wilderness. If the thought of that doesn't give you rafting wood then...
But on the Salmon, only the mosquitoes want to eat you. On the Noatak the bears and the skeeters will eat you, and their mosquitoes are as big as the bears in Idaho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
if you have read anything worth doing they float the salmon source to sea but past Lewiston sounded terrible.. one that people don't think about is the entire owyhee.. you can fit over 200 miles in granted it's not the longest. Barker does a 21 day guided trip it.
Just picked up a copy today, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only permits needed for the green river trip is gates of lodore and Deso. Last time I went down gates there was a group doing the whole thing. I believe both rivers have offseason/non permitted times, just not sure how much water there is, or the weather. It’s obviously not impossible to line up those permits

·
Registered
913 Posts
But on the Salmon, only the mosquitoes want to eat you. On the Noatak the bears and the skeeters will eat you, and their mosquitoes are as big as the bears in Idaho.
A long time ago I did a trip from the Anisak into the Noatak to hunt caribou. Late August was fall - beautiful tundra colors and no skeeters to speak of. We certainly had some bear encounters though, and probably saw 3,000 caribou.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Reactions: Bryson
21 - 40 of 47 Posts