Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just day dreaming about long trips and I wonder what is the longest (in miles) continuous trip in the country that would be worth rafting? I know the Columbia and Mississippi would be long but come on, who wants to raft those...
So what is the longest section of water you know of that you would be willing to do? There is about 100 miles of the Owyhee that is near the top of my to do list, and if one started on the North Fork there is about 285 miles on the John Day (30 miles longer than Lee's to Diamond) that would make for a pretty sweet trip and of course about 300 miles on the MF, Main Lower Salmon, but there's got to be some really long ones you all have mentally stitched together over the years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Plenty of great 300+ mile trips up in Alaska.
for example:
Little Nelchina>Nelchina>Tazlina>across Tazlina Lake>Copper and down to the Copper Delta - 375 miles
Noatak headwaters out to the Chukchi Sea - 400 miles

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
if you have read anything worth doing they float the salmon source to sea but past Lewiston sounded terrible.. one that people don't think about is the entire owyhee.. you can fit over 200 miles in granted it's not the longest. Barker does a 21 day guided trip it.

·
Registered
AIRE Jag
60 Posts
Put in 20 miles above Stanley Idaho, on the headwaters of the Salmon, then run it to the Snake. I’m pretty sure it’s over 400 miles, with no dams. It’s on my bucket list... I think of it as the King Salmon.
This is on my list as well. I've been referring to as the "Super Salmon" but I like "King Salmon" better! I've mapped it out as appx. 415 miles.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
of course about 300 miles on the MF, Main Lower Salmon, but there's got to be some really long ones you all have mentally stitched together over the years.
Leave the MF out. Start on the main Salmon proper above Stanley, float through Challis, Salmon, North Fork, and on down the Main...then Lower...confluence with the Snake and stop when you hit the first dam. IIRC it's 400+ miles and you only need a permit on the 77mi stretch of the Main.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is on my list as well. I've been referring to as the "Super Salmon" but I like "King Salmon" better! I've mapped it out as appx. 415 miles.
I can’t do it this fall (MFS permit), or next spring (I pulled a Grand permit), but if you’re still interested in fall of 2022, we should talk. That’s a really sweet line.

·
Registered
AIRE Jag
60 Posts
I can’t do it this fall (MFS permit), or next spring (I pulled a Grand permit), but if you’re still interested in fall of 2022, we should talk. That’s a really sweet line.
Yeah, momentarily forgot it was you who I talked about this with a while back! Ha ha. End-of-year-teacher-brain...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think you want to run this in spring to late spring. late fall you would not have much water above stanley and there are a couple rapids below that would be tight like shotgun and the sunbeam dam site. Not to mention it would be really slow going on stretchers between challis and corn creek.

Edit and spring you have to also think about slide rapid.. it's a tough spot between too much water and not enough. Really got me thinking now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don’t think I’d want to deal with the high water of a spring run. My plan has been to run from the highest possible spot in a kayak, then switch to a small cat around Stanley, then below Sunbeam launch the full sized boat. Mostly because with the high water you have the dangers of strainers, and places like Slide, which can be unrunnable. Over the course of the trip, you would also spend a ton on water filters. I’m also not in a hurry...slow easy floating that you want to never end.
Also, if you guys are seriously interested in that line, I’d cancel the MF to do it this fall. I have a main permit for the 14th of Oct.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That’s a pretty interesting article, but the party it mentions doing four days from Stanley to Lewiston? That has to be a typo, or they were motoring like crazy.
Read anything worth doing.. It is about this trip among some speed record trips on the salmon. and not a typo. on their speed trip they launched at dark from deer creek below Challis and it was getting light as the passed corn i believe.. I'm not a big reader and i devoured this book. Anything Worth Doing: A True Story of Adventure, Friendship and Tragedy on the Last of the West's Great Rivers: Deurbrouck, Jo: 9780985257804: Amazon.com: Books

1 - 20 of 47 Posts