Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this notice on Recreation.gov while printing my Ruby-Horsethief permit:

Facility Message:
Beginning July 1 Colorado Parks and Wildlife will require all persons 18 and older to possess a proper and valid Colorado hunting or fishing license to access State Wildlife Areas. This includes the Loma Boat Launch State Wildlife Area.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow that is going to be super hard to enforce!

Any idea if the Colorado outdoor search and rescue card that can be purchased for five years for $12 will satisfy the requirements? The fishing license has that component attached to it and I am assuming that is what they are trying to fund by this new rule but that is only a guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This also has some serious impacts to the trail system west of Salida, we have been talking with CPW about an exception. So far they have been friendly but not terribly receptive.

There is little doubt it will be an enforcement nightmare and most likely the cost will out weigh the benefit. We will see...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That suck's if they apply that to non-resident boaters. A five day fishing license is like 45$ and an annual is like 110$, per person.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is this about that State Wildlife Area fee we heard about earlier this year?

·
Registered
301 Posts
So I Just ;looked up Picnic Rock on the Poudre and it is a Natural Area, not a Wildlife Area. Why don't we just get it re-designated a Natural Area?

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is a big difference between a state wildlife area and other state managed areas.
The Loma boat ramp is not a state wildlife area. It is managed by the BLM. We do need a park pass is we want to utilize other state park amenities, like the boat ramps at Corn Lake, Connected Lakes, and the brand new ramps in Fruita here in the Grand Valley. We can bike or walk through these areas but not sure about others.
You've always needed a license to fish anywhere in Colorado - probably in any state.

·
ADVENTR
27 Posts
Actually, the Loma boat ramp is on a parcel owned by "COLORADO GAME FISH & PARKS"

http://adventr.co/files/SWA.jpg

And it is indeed a SWA: https://cpw.state.co.us/swa/Loma Boat Launch SWA

There is a big difference between a state wildlife area and other state managed areas.
The Loma boat ramp is not a state wildlife area. It is managed by the BLM. We do need a park pass is we want to utilize other state park amenities, like the boat ramps at Corn Lake, Connected Lakes, and the brand new ramps in Fruita here in the Grand Valley. We can bike or walk through these areas but not sure about others.
You've always needed a license to fish anywhere in Colorado - probably in any state.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Please do not shoot the messenger here as I know this is probably going to be unpopular, but I just called CPW to verify if you launch upstream from loma like at the state park and simply float through their Loma State Wildlife area, you DO need the fishing or hunting license as well.

I have no idea how they would check or verify that unless you pulled over at Loma, or CPW starts patrolling that area and does license checks.

But that is the skinny for the new law, all adults putting in or floating past loma need licenses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Please do not shoot the messenger here as I know this is probably going to be unpopular, but I just called CPW to verify if you launch upstream from loma like at the state park and simply float through their Loma State Wildlife area, you DO need the fishing or hunting license as well.

I have no idea how they would check or verify that unless you pulled over at Loma, or CPW starts patrolling that area and does license checks.

But that is the skinny for the new law, all adults putting in or floating past loma need licenses.
Really interesting. CPW's online map shows the SWA boundary in the middle of the river. So if you pull into Loma to use the john or float too close to the ramp you're in the SWA and need a license, but if you're way off to river left you're clear. :roll:

·
Registered
534 Posts
OK, I am really confused now.

I called the Grand Junction BLM office and they told me the fishing license requirement will not go into effect until next year. AND that I could launch at Loma this July without one. Perhaps BLM is out of the loop? They manage the ramp don't they?

Any one have first hand knowledge?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep. "All persons." Every. Stinkin'. One of us. The expressed intention on Colorado's website is to reduce non-hunting/fishing usage in areas set aside for those sports. As a LIFE-long hunter/fisherman and lover of landforms and waters, I understand how this could happen. There are so very many pressures AGAINST the "blood sports" that have been tolerated, and now somebody finally sees fit to push back. When those among us spread the bad-mouth about the others' use of the land, this is the foreseeable, predictable, and repeatable result. Those bad-mouthers and perpetually unhappy activists are NOT our Friends! They now have the hunter/fisher folk pushing back to carve out an exclusive preserve for their own little clubs. And it isn't just this one little piece. Read the regs.
The requirement will not go into effect for a year or so, in order that nobody gets upset right off. By kicking that can down the road a piece, people are less upset about it. I'm here to tell you, it's just as urgent as if it happened over the whole state (or the whole West!) and happened yesterday. That's how things are taken from us.
The Imperial nature of States will see this as another potential revenue grab for their greedy selves, and you know how that will go over in the Bureaucracies! Kinda like punching a hole in the bottom of Grand Coulee Dam, then trying to plug the durned thing.
I've sat by in silence while vegans and others bad-mouth these sports around many "campfires," increasingly among my guests and acquaintances. I can see 80 and 90 years coming over my own personal horizon, and hope to pass those numbers like Stirling Moss or Dale Earnhardt reaching for the redline.
We've all seen litter-box fights over such things as motorized use on rivers and most everything else people can tangle over, but there's one thing we all need, and one thing we all better agree upon: access. Unless we can agree to allow other people's access to the resource of downhill-running water, we're all whipped.
I believe we've heard the first shot fired. And we've got our work cut out for us. Those who watched have seen it before; once a scintilla of access or freedom is lost to Government or Grabbers, Heaven itself will have a job to get it back. Now, sic'em!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can see both sides of this. Managing wildlife is majority supported by the Pittman Robertson Act as a tax on hunting and fishing equipment, licenses, etc. Managing them for other users is an uphill battle, especially in CO, which is growing larger every moment with people that want to change to how it was where they came from.
Colorado is a hunting and fishing state and accounts for quite a bit of income for many months a year for small towns.

I like access, I like to hunt, fish, recreate and just enjoy!

See you on the river, I might be hunting, rafting, or both.

Heading to AK this fall to float and hunt Caribou, putting two of my favorite things together. Should be fun, and yes I have a fishing license.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Loma Boat Ramp

Yep. CPW property to the middle of the river. See Mesa County GIS here:

https://emap.mesacounty.us/assessor_lookup/Assessor_Parcel_Report.aspx?Account=R085474

One hefty launch fee especially since the order says anyone over 18 years of age has to posses a 1-day license or annual. Pays to use Rimrock shuttle and launch at their boat ramp. The only problem is right after high water when it is a mud pit. Hate to say this, but I would rather give them money then adhere to an unreasonable policy in an area that has some really great fishing and hunting...NOT. Perhaps they should just impose a reasonable launch fee on every permit, which should be easy to do as it is al controlled through Rec.gov.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This really sucks. I take pride in Colorado's usual even handed approach to things, but this is wrong on so many levels.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If I interpret the various fishing license options correctly.

It looks like you can get a resident single day license for $10.75.
They will waive the Habitat stamp for your first 2 days.
So eleven bucks a head more or less?
$16.94 for a non-resident.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts