Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts about how uptight the rangers at Lodore can be, just wanted to post one going the other direction.

We just got off a trip where we started below Flaming Gorge and floated into Lodore, so we were a little uptight about getting signed off since we didn't have a vehicle there if something was amiss. As it turned out, we had a great experience with the ranger there. He was thorough enough, but extremely pleasant and not at all nit-picky. He did want to see the full contents of our pin-kit (a big line, pulleys, and prusik cord seemed to be the keys), and a count of good PFDs, which all made sense. Other items he wanted to see included a kitchen tarp and a medical kit (after seeing one of our minors he didn't even need to see the major), as well as firepan and blanket. Overall, my impression was that if you looked over the regs and brought what was listed all was good.

Anyway, shout out to the new ranger from Texas at Lodore--a good guy, good experience. Read the regs, bring what they ask, all is well.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Thanks for the info bells.

I recounted a similar experience here.

Basically, the Dinosaur River Office has been monitoring the Buzz and is aware of the recent complaints. They've been working to improve the interactions at the put in.

Osseous - yes, and also a fire blanket & spare PFDs.

Jennifer - be ready for mosquitos at the put in and below Whirlpool Canyon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How 'bout mosquitoes? We launch on July 4th and I know they were real bad a few weeks ago.
They threatened to run off with our smaller children in Brown's Park, but once inside Dinosaur they weren't a problem until Island Park. Lots of tiny, aggressive ones there, along with deer flies, though they were deterred by those brave enough to slather on the 100% deet. Basically, try not to slow down through Island Park and I think you'll be good. If you camp there, be prepared for the witching hours around dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lodore requires a pin kit and a kitchen tarp?
I think the kitchen floor tarp is new, added in the last year or so. Basically, the required gear looks more and more like a GC list. It's a good thing, mostly, just turning some of these runs towards the expensive side. For the volume of traffic on that canyon, we found our campsites very clean, I can't remember seeing even wood ashes.

Our trip was right after the buzz thread started, and we found the ranger very friendly - thorough - but we expected that. He gave a good safety talk that covered the basics pretty well, total time for everything including the safety talk, maybe 15 minutes. He was not at all a ramp nazi. The take out at Split Mtn was a different story.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys. I had an allergic reaction to deet + 211 mosquito bites at Island Park a few years back. Now I have a full bug suit and I'll bring it!

·
Jared
733 Posts
Wow, Even on the Rogue I have never been "hassled" by BLM/ Rangers/ etc. I got checked in on the John Day last year, and she was pretty cool. She expressed that our fire wood pile was a little tall, and that was about it. One of our group actually pounded a beer in front of her and she didn't say a word. ( I was thinking it wasn't a smart thing to do either) I remember the process in 1995 on the Grand Canyon, wow. Nothing like that here.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Glad to hear about the change, and glad that Dino is listening to its users. I believe the kitchen tarp was a requirement last year as well? We've had ours for quite a few years, so always showed it to them.

One issue I had with one of the reqs on the permit is the strainer for kitchen water. We always use large medical gauge cloth to strain all our dirty water, the ranger wanted to see the metal one, luckily we had it in a different boat. The cloth works much better and cleaner than a metal one, plus much bulkier and heavier.

The pin kit reqs I totally agree with, there is an Avon boat pinned below Lucifer now as of yesterday. I hear about wraps in Lodore quite frequently.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ditto on the water strainer. We showed our metal salad strainer from the kitchen, we used our disposable elastic top paint strainer and 5 gal bucket, which is much finer, cleaner, more reliable, etc.

It's one thing to enforce well founded rules to protect safety and the environment, it's another to create arbitrary (and undocumented - find where it says you must have a METAL strainer) rules with no comment or criticism mechanisms, and then enforce those. NPS has a huge problem with that. Find anywhere on ANY of their websites mechanisms for feedback on staff, rules, conditions. Max you will find is a generalized, blind, send comments to box. It says all you need to know that a public blog, outside of their control, is the mechanism of choice to criticize their operations. They have managed to systematically piss off people who should be strong supporters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've seen a few posts about how uptight the rangers at Lodore can be, just wanted to post one going the other direction.

We just got off a trip where we started below Flaming Gorge and floated into Lodore, so we were a little uptight about getting signed off since we didn't have a vehicle there if something was amiss. As it turned out, we had a great experience with the ranger there. He was thorough enough, but extremely pleasant and not at all nit-picky. He did want to see the full contents of our pin-kit (a big line, pulleys, and prusik cord seemed to be the keys), and a count of good PFDs, which all made sense. Other items he wanted to see included a kitchen tarp and a medical kit (after seeing one of our minors he didn't even need to see the major), as well as firepan and blanket. Overall, my impression was that if you looked over the regs and brought what was listed all was good.

Anyway, shout out to the new ranger from Texas at Lodore--a good guy, good experience. Read the regs, bring what they ask, all is well.
I believe we launched the same day as Bells. We had the easiest check in I've ever had at Lodore. The ranger's supervisor (I think) was also there but I don't think that had anything to do with the previous complaints. The guy was really nice but made sure to check everything we needed to bring with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad this topic came back up. I was meaning to post.
Our launch was Sunday June 14th. Bob was our Ranger. He checked off everything and even asked us a few questions about how we'd deal with an evacuation situations. By no means was he over the top or aggressive, but he did mean business.

On the other side, we were on the ramp earlier with all of our gear laid out and were not jacking around when he wanted our attention. We made it simple for him so he made it simple for us.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just a quick thread jack....... There is a Chinese store on Redwood & 90th in West Jordan with the biggest strainer selection I have seen. Very fine mesh in some of them. Crazy cheap too. It's in the old Albertson's building.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Can someone explain the kitchen tarp???
Leave no trace ethics, never seen a kitchen where something didn't end up on the floor. Even more so on the river, yes some do a good job with microtrash and the kitchen but most don't. Tarp or cgi mat makes it easy and effective.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Food Strainer

I've used this strainer twice on the Grand and it works great. It sits on top of 5 gal bucket and strains as it goes. The Grand Ranger looked at it funny but passed it. Used the 600 micro unit. Very durable and when you get home it goes in the dish washer. 5 Gallon EZ Strainer Bucket Pail Filter Biodiesel WVO WMO Paint Oil Water Liquid | eBay

Ditto on the water strainer. We showed our metal salad strainer from the kitchen, we used our disposable elastic top paint strainer and 5 gal bucket, which is much finer, cleaner, more reliable, etc.

It's one thing to enforce well founded rules to protect safety and the environment, it's another to create arbitrary (and undocumented - find where it says you must have a METAL strainer) rules with no comment or criticism mechanisms, and then enforce those. NPS has a huge problem with that. Find anywhere on ANY of their websites mechanisms for feedback on staff, rules, conditions. Max you will find is a generalized, blind, send comments to box. It says all you need to know that a public blog, outside of their control, is the mechanism of choice to criticize their operations. They have managed to systematically piss off people who should be strong supporters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts