Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of scared to ask this kind of question, seem like Gates of Lodore questions get people upset and way off topic. Very experience mulitday cat boater

want to avoid high probablity of high water
will use a 14 to 16' boats
some cold day are alright but like to have some possiblity of over 65 deg
when is it bad for bugs

is pre high use season really cold and too low?
low water is ok as long as its doable

I have done the lower green before as a expample . Did it in early may was pretty nice weather, bugs were absent. Hell to me would be doing it late june through august (heat and bugs)

really just asking for some range of dates. PM are highly encouraged from someone that really knows the run at different times of the year

To add to the mix I like to enter a Salt river permit. I know its a short season and what dates are best for maybe you will have water in it for a raft

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Honestly its a crap shoot. You could have amazingly nice weather in April, or snow/rain the whole trip in May. March will be cold, that's for sure.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Spring in co, definitely a crap shoot. Never too low, minimum flows out of the dam are fine if you don't mind it being boney. Late season could be an option.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I piggyback a permit question- if I know I'm doing a commercial on Lodore in July, I can't take/lead a private trip in the same season, correct? Same rules apply to Lodore and Yampa if I'm reading things right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
536 Posts
As far as I know, the no repeat rule only applies to private trips. You can buy multiple trips, or buy a trip and then lead a trip, in the same season.

RutRow - high water only happens if they spill from the dam, or during the scheduled release to augment the Yampa's natural peak and allow for fish breeding in Jensen. Max powerplant release is 4500, and that's still a very comfortable level without much of a "big" feel. It gets big in there as they start chasing 10,000. USBR posts their plans here: Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
April21st !

Hello, I am planning a later April Lodore trip. Does anyone know if the water spot will have water that early? Any other low use season advice?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I doubt the water will be on by the 21st, it has not been on that early the last few years. As your launch nears you can call and ask Kelly. Filtering that time of year is not too bad especially above the confluence.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out I got a cancelation for early august instead. Whoopi hooo

It is a long drive there so was planning to do Everything from the dam down. But not sure where the lowest take out is? Within reason, would Jensen bridge be a bad idea

What would the bugs be like early august and what kind of temperatures would I get?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've never taken out at Jensen but Split Mtn is the standard takeout for a Dino trip, August will be slow and flat not in a canyon after Split Mtn. But if you have the time it may worth a little more rio time. Every time I take out at Split, well anywhere for that matter, I wish I could keep going but when driving out it and looking at it I'm glad I'm headed to a hot spring.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would take out at split and spend the time at the Dino quarry instead of floating through that farmland. It's a great display.

It will be hot for sure. Bugs shouldn't be too bad until you hit C section. Lodore put in shouldn't be too bad and after that not much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Ive got a question to add, what sort of flows should we expect over memorial day weekend?
Is it going to be all dam release or should we expect higher flow from the snow melting?
Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's all dam release anyway until you hit the Yampa. In the spring they will augment the runoff flow for spawning and that depends on when the Yampa peaks. After that it all depends on water storage and air conditioners.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
447 Posts
The dam doesn't usually have a higher release until right after Memorial Day. In 2013 flows went from 800 to 4800 in three days. Here is a link to 2013 data. Flows out of the dam could very well be up depending on what the weather does and how late in the month of May the Holiday falls on. I've run Lodore over Memorial at 4500 and rising in 2008. Got to the confluence and ran Split Mtn at 22k.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09234500 GREEN RIVER NEAR GREENDALE, UT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts